cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPlink Archer vr2600 speedtest lower than Hub 1

tartanthing

TPlink Archer vr2600 speedtest lower than Hub 1

HI all,

I purchased a TPlink VR2600 with the intention of it replacing my Hub 1 and converting the Hub 1 to an AP to cover rest of flat. I'm on a very tight budget & the VR2600 fitted specs I needed the best.

Set up went OK, however Ive done repeated speed tests, Hub 1 reports around 30 MBps download on Ethernet & Wifi but VR2600 is only reporting around 7MBps or 8MBps down on wired and wifi. Both however are consistant with Upload speed at around 8-9 MBps.

I've been through the settings several times and cant see any difference except choosing in TPlink between xDSL modem mode and Wifi modem Mode. Documentation suggests leaving on xDSL.

A couple of quirks I have noticed. Some websites struggle to load with messages like ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED On the VR2600 I can't play youtube links on VLC & facebook particularly seems to have trouble resolving. I've also tried using Psiphon (www.psiphon3.com) and the ERR_CONNECTION hasnt shown itself. I've done speedtests which also replicate previously mentioned Down & Up speeds.

I'm on standard fibre plan.

Does anyone please have any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: TPlink Archer vr2600 speedtest lower than Hub 1

@tartanthing wrote:

Why not use the Archer as the Access Point?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tartanthing

Re: TPlink Archer vr2600 speedtest lower than Hub 1

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@tartanthing wrote:

Why not use the Archer as the Access Point?

The Archer has better wifi range for the rest of the flat. There's only one room which has problems and due to layout of the flat. The AP will pretty much only be able to be received in the room with poor coverage because of metal mesh used in the walls almost making a faraday cage. Theres also much better support for usb hard drives as I cant afford a NAS. It's also much better at handling IOT devices.

So the Archer needs to be the main device.