cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link VR600 NAS problem

douglasphillips

TP-Link VR600 NAS problem

Hi!

I recently replaced my Plusnet hub with a TP-Link VR600 modem-router. Very easy to set up and it's improved wireless performance and connection stability. I have one problem (so far!). My Synology DS213 NAS won't connect to the internet (so no cloud backups), it reports a warning of two or more routers being found. Reading through topics on the Synology forum it MAY be that the Plusnet side of the network is acting as a router via the default gateway of 172.16.... (my LAN uses the 192.168.1... addresses). The words NAT translation are used but that's getting a bit beyond my knowledge. The NAS help message suggests bridging the router but this is also getting to the edge of my knowledge.

Any ideas please?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: TP-Link VR600 NAS problem

The vr600 has a different default ip address to the pn hub one, 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.254.

Check k that the nas has got the correct address  (192.168.1.1) as its default gateway and that it's not retained some old settings. It SHOULD have got the new address via dhcp but if you've set a statistic ip on it then it wont.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

douglasphillips

Thanks, but the IP address is set correctly to 192.168.1.1. I think it may be the default gateway address of 172.16.... which is giving the issue by acting as a second router, but I'm running out of expertise at that point and I can't find a way to alter that anyway - it appears to be set by Plusnet.

Martin/

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@douglasphillips  you cant alter the default gateway for the internet connection, its obtained from the pppoe connection to PN. That's not the problem, it would have been the same ( or similar ) with the hub one. Is your nas configured for external access? If so, the external ip may have changed when you reconnected due to the router change. Check that the external ip has updated on the nas

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

douglasphillips

I've been fiddling with the NAS external settings: they all appeared to be correct, but I've manually set the DNS server addresses. The error is still appearing, but otherwise the NAS seems to be functioning OK - it does access the WAN and the webserver seems to be working using the current external IP address. It's a bit mysterious but fingers crossed that all is well...

Will review after the next scheduled cloud backup in a few days,

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Both the gateway and the router addresses should be set to 192.168.1.1 on the NAS.

The 172... address appears to be a Plusnet private IP address.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."