Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link VR2800 modem/router

FIXED
Hobby
Grafter
Fixes: 2

TP Link VR2800 modem/router

As previously mentioned I have taken the plunge and changed from ADSL2 to fibre VDSL.

No probelm with the plusnet router which works Ok and connects with no issues.

I want to connect using my My TP Link router which should work fine with fibre as it has an easy connection setting which recognises the plusnet VDSL connection but when connected it will not connect to the internet as the IP, gateway and dns settings dont match what I have for plusnet.

Have tried entering maunally but the default gateway address I use keeps giving an error (have used 195.166.130.252 and 192.168.1.254)

Has anyone else used this router on a fibre connection and connected OK?

Note I do have a static IP address but this should not be an issue as far as I know.

By the way my previous ADSL2 connection using this router was fine  and the automated set up worked first time.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: TP Link VR2800 modem/router

@Hobby 

Even if you have a static IP address it's best to leave the router to obtain it automatically.

Are you setting PPPoE protocol. not PPPoA as used on ADSL?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Hobby
Grafter

The router has an automatic configuration for plusnet VDSL and the default settings are PPPoE.

Problem I have is that it connects but is only connected to the router, no actual internet connection. Looking at the log in info it has completely different IP, gateway and DNS than i would have expected for plusnet.

If I try to do a manual configuration it does not accept the gateway Ip address and gives and error code.

Driving me nuts as the plusnet router autoconnecting router supplied is fine. Speeds are all over the place mind you but stil within the 14days so giving it a chance.

Baldrick1

What gateway IP address? Why do you need to enter one?

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Hobby 

Thinking a bit deeper, if you previously used the router on ADSL did you do a factory reset before trying if on VDSL? If not it might be worth trying.

Moderator and Customer

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'm fairly certain that. Plusnet's recommended settings are to retrieve the Gateway I.P. address automatically, why not try that?
Hobby
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.

Have reset the router and it is now connecting for VDSL rather than previous ADSL.

When using the automatic plusnet conneting mode it does retrieve the various gateway, IP and DNS addresses but these are wroing which is why i think it is not connecting correctly.

I have tired the manual mode so you can put in your own setting but it refuses to accept any of the gateway IP addresses i try.

Currently using the plusnet router until i sort.

Think i will ring TP link at some point

Thanks again.

Hobby
Grafter

Fix

Finally all working Ok!

Reset the router to factory settings a couple more times and that seems to have done the trick.

Default auto login now works perfectly.

Thought I was going mad for a bit there!

Thanks again for everyones input.