Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link TD-W9970 Slow Downloads

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: TP Link TD-W9970 Slow Downloads

@jameson_uk wrote:

@MisterW wrote:

that does look like a line issue, although it may well be an internal problem.

You need to leave the modem plugged into the test socket for some time and confirm that the problem still exists to rule out any internal wiring issues.

Does the trigger of the low speed correspond to any phone calls ? 

I will try but it is difficult to run things that way (hence the extension....).   Also it is a pain to tell when it is happening unless you happen to notice things going slow.   I might try and script something to check the speed every five minutes.

So what are you running from the extension, the modem/router or just a phone? Ideally the modem/router should be connected to the Master socket.

Do you have a filtered faceplate or are you using filters? The best (neatest and best performing) configuration is to fit a filtered faceplate, the modem/router then has to be located at this position but no filters are required for the extensions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jameson_uk
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

So what are you running from the extension, the modem/router or just a phone? Ideally the modem/router should be connected to the Master socket.

Do you have a filtered faceplate or are you using filters? The best (neatest and best performing) configuration is to fit a filtered faceplate, the modem/router then has to be located at this position but no filters are required for the extensions.

The master socket is in a rubbish location and there is zero chance of me putting the router next to it on a permanent basic.

It master socket is an Openreach filtered socket which an engineer fitted last time I had line issues.   There are no phones connected at all.   There are some internal extensions for phone sockets which aren't used.   

The router is plugged in with an short extension from the VDSL socket on the Openreach faceplate so it is only the modem on this extension.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jameson_uk It sounds like you are feeding the modem/router from the filtered Phone output of the master socket so to be honest I'm surprised that it's working at all, or is the extension socket wired to the incoming A and B terminals on the faceplate (should there be any) and not filtered?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jameson_uk
Dabbler

I am using the two unfiltered VDSL pins in the master socket (https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/blog/how-to-install-a-vdsl-extension-4.php) to wire up the extension.

The Openreach engineer who came a couple of years ago even tested it and said there was very little difference to master socket (it is only about 2.5m extension
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

For regular speed testing I quite like "JD's Auto SpeedTester".

I am the satisfied customer....
jameson_uk
Dabbler

OK things seem to have stabilised but I am getting slower speeds.   The BT Wholesale test says the acceptable range for my line is 40-42.59 Mbps but the minimum guaranteed speed from PlusNet is 43.3 Mbps (and it has always been high 40s previously).  The actual speed is currently mid 30s.

It says IP Profile is 42.59 which I thought was based on a percentage of sync speed?   The modem is reporting the sync speed as 39998 Kbps which is lower than the IP profile 😕

If I do any testing am I going to be hindered by this IP profile?   Is this effectively capping my speeds or if the modem syncs at a higher rate will this profile change?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It says IP Profile is 42.59 which I thought was based on a percentage of sync speed?   The modem is reporting the sync speed as 39998 Kbps which is lower than the IP profile 😕

That looks strange, the IP profile should be slightly less than the synch.

Can you post the dsl stats from the modem ?

The fact that it's synching at 39998 could indicate the line has been banded recently, and the IP profile hasn't caught up yet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jameson_uk
Dabbler

See attached.

If the line has been banded does that mean I am stuck at those speeds unless someone resets something?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If the line has been banded does that mean I am stuck at those speeds unless someone resets something?

No, eventually if the errors reduce , then the DLM will start to remove any banding.

The fact that the router thinks the line is capable of >80Mb synch and you're only achieving a 9db margin at 40Mb still indicates a fault somewhere. However, getting Openreach and/or PlusNet to investigate a speed issue under the current circumstances is not a priority.

TBH I'd leave everything alone for a while if I were you. Disconnecting and reconnecting things will only upset the DLM more.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Powerline network adapters can generate a lot of interference causing a lot of errors. Perhaps try without them for a while and see if things improve.