cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Router Setup

onlywithbasi

TP-Link Router Setup

I've just moved into a new apartment with plusnet broadband and had a Wifi6 Router from TP Link (Archer AX50) that I want to use instead of the TG852n that we currently have, and yet throughout the installation I always have an orange light over the WAN LED due to the modem not connecting to the TP Link router to give it internet. The current set-up is a BT OpenReach modem which connects to the TG852n router, and I want to swap out the TG852n with my TP Link.

Wifi works fine but poor in range with the TG852n and I can't seem to get the internet working with the TP Link. I've tried copying the MAC address and using some of the guides from here yet aren't necessarily applicable due to having different steps I can't do.

Will plugging in directly from ethernet help at all with this? Are there any other guides that will help, or any other upgrades I need to make, particularly to the openreach?

7 REPLIES 7
kpingham
Hooked

Re: TP-Link Router Setup

I am having exactly the same issue (juts bought an AX50 and am hooking it up to my Plusnet Hub One).

Did you (or anyone else) find a solution?

kpingham
Hooked

LOL, OK, I figure we were both making the same mistake. In the TP-Link instructions it says "connect the powered-off modem to the router's WAN port with an Ethernet cable." To me this means connect the Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the Plusnet Hub One to the WAN port on the AX50. Haha, so it doesn't mean that... it means plug the Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the Plusnet modem to the WAN port on the AX50!

That's a whole morning of my life I won't get back. Rubbish instructions TP-Link! Nevermind, works fine now Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

and I can't seem to get the internet working with the TP Link. I've tried copying the MAC address and using some of the guides from here yet aren't necessarily applicable due to having different steps I can't do.

@onlywithbasi Try manually configuring the Internet connection on the AX50. Set it to PPPoE  and enter username as <youraccountname>@plusdsl.net and password as the one used to access the member centre. Then connect the cable from the BT modem to the WAN port.

That should be it...

@kpingham your config is different since you are connecting to a Hub one rather than a BT modem. If your current setup you will have a double-nat situation. If this causes problems then you might want to consider switching the AX50 into AccessPoint mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kpingham
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW I am right in plugging in the Ethernet cable in the way I described? Have I get it set up optimally?

kpingham
Hooked

atm I have the AX50 setup to connect to the Plsunet Hub One with Dynamic IP. Should i set it up to connect via PPPOE? Thanks.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@kpingham no , you can't use PPPoE in your situation because the Hub one is a router. You can either leave it as DHCP or you can switch the AX50 into access point mode in which case it won't need an internet connection configuring. Either way, you are correct in connecting the WAN port on the AX50 to a LAN port on the Hub One

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kpingham
Hooked

Great, thanks @MisterW I'll keep an eye on things and if there are any issues I can try the AX50 in Access Point mode, but so far so good, my network speed has increased by over 50% Cheesy