cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Archer VR900

yaswat

TP-Link Archer VR900

I would like to volunteer information on the TP-Link Archer VR900 as I've had it now for a few months and its worth providing some feedback if anyone is interested in buying one.

Very stable and the download speed increased by ~6Mb/s after swapping out the TG582n. The router is connected directly to my fibre BT connection (no need for BT modem). The router is very fast and I hook up a SSD to the USB 3.0 port without problems and can stream videos directly from the drive.

Absence of line stats and beam forming does not work too well. I am not bothered by absence of line stats and I switched off beamforming by sticking to 2.4GHz band.

20 REPLIES 20
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: TP-Link Archer VR900

Its been getting a lot of good feedback in the tech press too...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

This is the router I'm currently using. Very happy with it and I don't have any problem with the the beamforming/5Ghz band either.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

john348

did you get this from plusnet.  I have the TG but I am having issues where it goes to sleep every so often (seems to be usage related) resets and then comes back?  Plusnet have checked the line found an issue that they say they fixed but it seems the same.  It could be the line resetting or the router.  I am on fibre by the way.

yaswat

No. I got this model from Amazon. Your router might be faulty, but before sending back, you should plug the power adapter into a surge protector. Routers are sensitive to power fluctuations and maybe a fridge/freezer could be causing undesirable changes to the supply.

tokey
Aspiring Pro

Same John, I bought mine too.

Ive always operated on the assumption that if the ISP can afford to give it away for free, its probably not very good.

A little bit of research and a little bit of expenditure is likely to get you something far better for your individual needs.

The plusnet router sits in a box as a spare just in case of emergencies...

john348

Thanks  I will buy something better and also try a surge protector.  It is strange for example you can be on ebay and suddenly the next page will not load.  It seems (but may be a red kipper) that if I disconnect wifi and reconnect it all comes back.  If I don't it seems to take an age to come back.  This is on tablets as well as laptop.  I had some engineers round the other day and they had the same problem suddenly all stops.  I am sure that the wifi router goes away, although I do have an external repeater to get to the office.  but the main plusnet ssid suddenly is unreachable and so looks like the actual router is resetting.  PlusNet say they found a problem and lots of resets but say they have fixed it!!

yaswat

The best place to start is to go through a process of elimination. Switch off all wireless and rely on a wired connection to your laptop/PC and use for a while.

Next, switch on wireless on the router only and use your devices and laptop wirelessly.

Next, switch on beam-forming.

Next, switch on the repeater. If you are using a repeater then devices may be confusing themselves between the ssid of the router and repeater in effect giving the illusion that you are losing a connection. It is better to have a different name for the repeater ssid to avoid confusing your devices.

john348

Just been in touch with PlusNet and they are sending me an upgraded router!!!  As said above I might still buy one as 'free' ones will be made to a price???  Still they just volunteered when I they looked at my account.  Strange the last engineer who said some of my profile was wrong didn't spot the 'old' router.  Still I have already had confirmation it si on its way. 

So any recommendations as to the 'best' router would be good.  The one in this link looks good from experience.  (not the early experience though)

tokey
Aspiring Pro

The one in this thread is well talked about and the Asus ones are also very good:

This is an excellent router which will give you a lot of functionality:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-N66U-Wireless-Router-Gigabit/dp/B007W16SMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

If you dont want to break the bank then this one will also serve you well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardware-streaming/dp/B004TPWRSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

I cant speak for the TP Link other than the positive reviews its had on here as well as in the tech press however I have owned both of those Asus routers on my PN Fibre connection and both have been superb.

Check out the 'upgrade' one from PN first though as it might fit the bill Thumbs_Up

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Will this router work with PN FTTC ?

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html#overview

ok, just noticed that this one is only ADSL2+ so what I need is a VDSL2.

splont
Hooked

I'm afraid I have to report a different experience with this bit of kit. 

Mine really really does not like a dropped internet connection. It can be a few weeks or days before my issues occurs but basically it seems that if my connection is interrupted for any reason this router is simply incapable of re-establishing a connection. If I log into the web interface I just get 'Internal error code 1' messages on every page. I have to physically power cycle, rebooting via the interface just does not work. Connectivity to other devices on my network, such as my NAS does still work. I am running the latest 160316 firmware.

I have simulated this by getting it up and running again and then unplugging the adsl cable so it loses internet connectivity. Sure enough the internal error occurs, plugging the cable back in does nothing until I reboot it.

Could I ask an owner of this router to try unplugging their adsl cable and then see if they can navigate the web interface error free and if they plug the cable back in does it re-establish its connection?

Might be time to return mine... Sad

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for your input Splont, I am holding off getting one of these, maybe i will ask Plusnet to upgrade me to the Plusone Hub as the wifi with my Technicolor is flaky.

paulmedwards1

Yes, I had problems as well with the VR900, bought this a few months ago for port forwarding as didnt work on 2704n , VR900 kept on dropping connections and Netflix buffering, When I restored Openreach modem and 2704n stability and no drops that I noticed. Updated to latest firmware and contacted TP-Link support. Finally gave up and returned to Amazon who gave full refund,

/Paul

nigelmercier
Grafter

I'm confused by the model numbers, is this one good?

ASUS DSL-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N 900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Gigabit Router