Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582 router fault

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

TG582 router fault

I have tried a site search but not managed to find anything about this. I wonder if anyone can help.

My Technicolor TG582 router has developed a small fault. This morning I couldn't turn WiFi back on via the button on the router front panel. I used a cable ethernet connection to log in to the router and have a look. Found the WiFi "Interface Disabled", turned it on. This worked immediately and the green WiFi LED on the router front panel came back on.

But I still couldn't switch WiFi OFF/ON via the front panel switch. I used the now working WiFI to the router to initiate a software router reboot; still couldn't use the front panel switch. So I tried a power off reboot; still couldn't use the front panel switch. The only thing I have not yet tried is to use the router software (or even hardware) Reset facility, but I am not sure exactly what this might zap.

Could just be a faulty switch! But has anyone come across this before and managed to easily fix it?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: TG582 router fault

Your best bet is to try a factory reset by pushing a paperclip or similar into the appropriate hole and hold it closed for 20 seconds or so. All you will lose is the settings, instructions on how to set it up again will be found here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/.

If that fails I'm afraid it's time for a new router. If you are prepared to take out a new contract Plusnet will give you one if you ask. If you're on standard broadband it will be the dire Hub Zero but I guess it's just about worth the P&P charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @pvmb

Hub Zero disdain not withstanding, I can only echo the advice that has been offered by @Baldrick1

It's an odd fault, but it does seem like a hardware fault nonetheless. If a pinhole reset doesn't resolve the issue it will result in the router needing to be replaced. As @Baldrick1 has also mentioned that's something we may be able to help you with if you're in a position to recontract - give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 328 4624 to discuss this in more depth.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Baldrick1

I fully accept that you have to support Plusnet products. My disdain  of the Hub Zero comes from personal experience. This independant review also makes interesting reading: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review.  I particularly noted the following quote: 'The router's 2.4GHz performance was lacklustre at best. With our test laptop’s built-in 802.11n wireless adaptor we saw speeds of just 3.9Mbit/s at 10m, dropping to a positively crawling 2Mbit/s at 25m. These are some of the worst speeds we’ve seen from any router.'

Moderator and Customer

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

The first line of my response was written very much tongue-in-cheek @Baldrick1

Have a great weekend Wink

Dave

Baldrick1

@RandallFlagg

Cheers! I wasn’t trying to wind you up, being a Plusnet staffer I fully understand that you cannot  publicly support my view when it is critical of equipment supplied by your employer.

Moderator and Customer

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I tried the hardware reset and the WiFi switch is still not working. So looks like a hardware fault.

Does the Hub Zero have a similar external WiFi switch? Apart from the loss of this convenience my TG582 is working normally.

BTW. Has anyone every managed to get a TG582 out of its case without breaking anything?

Baldrick1

If you're precious about having an external wifi switch and are happy with your TG582 then why not go onto Ebay and buy another one, They are sold for peanuts.

Edit,

I've just looked at the Hub Zero that's collecting dust in my junk dump and can confirm that it does have an external Wifi switch.

Moderator and Customer

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the suggestion and information about the Hub Zero router, baldrick1.