Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582 replacement

FIXED
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

TG582 replacement

After four years my TG582 wifi is failing with frequent dropouts. I'm on ADSL2 and it does my job perfectly well. I understand there is a new basic router but I've given up trying to contact PN, no online chat, no email, gave up after two half-hour waits on 'HELP' line.

Can anyone suggest a suitable simple and reliable replacement? In the past I tried the supposedly reliable Billion 7800 but wifi failed at just over 2 yrs, I later found this was a common problem. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: TG582 replacement

Probably best to look over at Kitz forum http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?board=5.0 for help about usable replacement devices. Lots of knowledgeable people there.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@Longliner - If you've been with PN for at least a couple of years, I'd be surprised if they didn't actually offer you their latest router for free (apart from the P&P).

Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Prepare to be surprised, Cagney .......

I got through to CS on third attempt and 25 mins wait and was offered the Hub Zero for the price of £40 odd AND £6 postage. Off to try Kitz, thanks, and then methinks to Amazon.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you're happy with a TG582 then go onto Ebay. You should be able to pick one up for less than £10.

Obviously there are many better alternatives, I would recommend a BTSmarthub 6 for its far superior Wifi capability. Don't get a Plusnet Hub Zero. Their performance is sadly lacking.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Fix

A quick glance at Gumtree brought a new Hub Zero for £5 just a few miles down the road! Works fine and I have the TG582 as a spare. Wifi on both routers is lousy, partly due to solid concrete walls, so long ago we bought a couple of Devolo which give us five bar strength all around the house. Many thanks folks for all your helpful advice!

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Longliner Glad you've sorted it  - for now 🙂

The Hub Zero is not very good to be fair. Mine went wonky so I was sent a new one and that was just as bad.

Changed to a BT HH6 (£30 brand new from eBay) and the difference is night and day. Wifi is excellent (it's dual band, the Hub Zero is only single band). 

If your Zero isn't up to scratch, then I wholly endorse the HH6.

If you're happy with your current arrangment then it's all good.