Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG 582n router event logs

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

TG 582n router event logs

Please can anyone advise me how to view connection/event logs on the fibre version of the TG 582n router?

SWMBO is reporting pages hanging, taking a long time to load and then timing out when using her tablet, even though the wifi icon is showing good signal strength. Often the page she was trying to view loads straight away at the second attempt. She has noticed that the router lights are flashing 'all over the place' , but can't tell me which lights are flashing and which are steady. This mostly happens during the daytime and mid-week when I am at work, I've never experienced it happening during the evening or at the weekend.

Alternatively, please could someone from plusnet provide a graph of my connection logs for the past couple of weeks?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
27 REPLIES 27
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: TG 582n router event logs

when you log into your router, there should be at the top right of the screen A-Z, click on that, and then 'event log'

all the best

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @maranello,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this issue. I've taken a look into your account today and the connection appears to be stable as per the graph below.

From what you're describing the issue that you're experiencing sounds most likely to be a Wi-Fi Signal strength issue and if you haven't already I'd recommend changing the wireless channel your router is operating on to see this makes any improvement. I've included a guide for this below:

1) To connect to your Technicolor, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254. If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) Once you are connected, you will be prompted for a username and password. The username as default is always 'admin' all lower case and the router password found on the card you got with your router starting 'CPXXXXXXXXX'.
3) Once logged in, you will have several options, under 'Home Network' you will need to select the option listed as 'Wireless' you can then edit these settings using the 'Configure' option in the top right of the screen.
4) The page you will now be faced with controls different aspects of wireless. The first option you will need to change is 'Channel Selection' which will need to be changed to 'Manual' followed by the 'Channel' Option which you will need to change to one of the 13 channels listed below. Once this has been changed you will need to press the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page.

When you have changed the wireless channel, we suggest trying it for 3-4 hours to see if the issue persists before trying another channel.
Any Wireless channel is prone to interference and can be caused by a number of factors, changing this channel will usually resolve the issue, if problems are still persisting after this then it is likely that something else is causing the issue. Further help can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro

@TheMightyAJ

Thanks Alex. I was aware of how to check for local channel interference and how to change channels, but post is appre iated and may be helpful to others with similar issues. I use channel 13 as it has always been the least used on a regular basis.

I believe the problems I have experienced may be due to poor signal from my WiFi repeater, which I have noticed is often displaying a poor reception from the router and subsequently transmitting a poor signal. I'm considering a replacement. 

maranello
Pro

Update 

The weekend saw at least two connection drops at the router. For one a manual reconnect was required from the router interface. I'm not convinced that previous reported connection issues were wholly wireless related. The TG582n is getting on a bit now, as is the open reach modem. Time to hunt for a BT smart hub?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It looks like your connection has been a bit unsteady over the past days:

Do you still have the Hub One we sent you earlier in the year you could try?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

I sent back the Hub One. As I cannot get any stats from this router, could you run the GEA test and post the results please?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sure thing:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 24.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 468.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress  
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk  
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 5dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-27T16:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 25.7 Mbps 64.1 Mbps 45.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 10.2 Mbps 18.7 Mbps 17.4 Mbps
Up Time 642.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 7.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-12-10T16:03:03Z 2018-12-10T16:18:03Z
Ingress Code Violation 8 6
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Looks like maybe your modem is faulty, shame you don't have the Hub 1 to confirm. But your current sync speed is shocking for the length of your line.

Are you not seeing issues from the stats you collect?

maranello
Pro

I never noticed it was as bad as these stats indicate. Well below the fault threshold. 

@Mustrum what makes you believe it is the modem an not the router?

@Gandalf I'll try plugging into the test socket tomorrow, could you re-run the test to check if internal wiring is an issue please.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@maranello It's the modem that syncs with the cabinet, not the router. The line is not banded as shown in the GEA test, it is also stable, so unless you have it plugged into an extension socket or a very long extension cable, which I doubt as the max speeds look to be OK, then my gut feeling is the modem!!

HTH

maranello
Pro

Thanks @Mustrum

It is probably still worthwhile eliminating any other potential causes before either requesting a hub one from Plusnet or buying an alternative combined VDSL modem router. The BT Smart Hub appears to be recommended frequently on the forum. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Agree with your logic. The Hub 1 if you can get it for the £6.99 postage is worth it just to check the line, but not much more. I have no experience of the HH6, but does appear to be a better option.

I too like to monitor my broadband performance/stats and have Netgear D7000 which is compatible with DSL stats and can be monitored on Think Broadband, so I guess it depends on your budget.

Have a look over on Kitz for other modem/router options. 

maranello
Pro

The hub one doesn't support my printer connected via the USB port, so it would only be a stopgap if my tg582n or openreach modem failed completely. I'm tightfisted so spending £6.99 just for test purposes seems a waste of money, and then becomes just another piece of electrical kit to be disposed of. 

maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

The modem is now connected via a microfilter to the test socket. Please could you re-run the GEA test and post the results.