Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDW9970 + BT smart hub

FIXED
redmonkey391
Hooked

TDW9970 + BT smart hub

Before i start i have already rechecked username and password for connection details multiple times. I have factory reset both routers multiple times. I have recently upgraded to fibre, so ive upgraded to using a fibre modem/router.

The error it states is :
Test authentication with ISP : Fail

But i assume that has something to do with username and password, but ive literally tried every possible correction.

Im hoping its something that maybe plusnet can see and fix on their end.

Thanks for your time, hope you can help.
15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: TDW9970 + BT smart hub

@redmonkey391  I don't understand why you're using a 9970 AND the BT Smart hub ?

The smart hub will work on it's own

Can you explain how you are connecting them .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redmonkey391
Hooked

Sorry, didnt explain at all. Im not connecting them, ive tried them seperately with the same results.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@redmonkey391 

The Smarthub 6 setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

The mistake some people make is plugging the DSL cable in before instructed.

The other thing to note is that these routers object to passwords that include special characters. If you use these then you need to log into your account and change the password to alpha numeric chatacters only.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

redmonkey391
Hooked

Ive done everything in the instructions, still not connecting.
redmonkey391
Hooked

I keep getting the error:
:PPPoE connection could not be established. Login failed but there was no detailed information delivered by the radius server.

Ive made sure the username and password is correct, I used the exact same ones that i used when I had ADSL and it worked fine. Its when ive upgraded to a fibre router that for some reason its not accepting the correct login details. Please help.
Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Hi @redmonkey391 

I've checked our RADIUS (authentication) logs this end, and can see you are being denied access due to an invalid password. This means the username is correct though.

The password should be the one used to log into the main plus.net website, not this (community.plus.net) one.

If you aren't aware of the password, or wish to reset it, either give us a call, or go here:

https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/

Once the router is updated with the correct password you should be able to get back online.

Any problems, please let us know Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
redmonkey391
Hooked

Before i reset though, i am using the correct password, thats whats wierd, im actually using the right one, but as youve said, its apparently not working, but its odd right, because it is the correct one.
Baldrick1

@redmonkey391 

The easy way to prove who is right is to check whether you can use this username and password to log into your Plusnet account.

Also did you note my last post advising that there should be no special characters in your password.

Moderator and Customer

redmonkey391
Hooked

Thats what i mean by it being correct, i can log into plusnet just fine, its just for some reason my password wont work when I'm using it to connect it to internet it seems.
I only use alphanumeric no special characters so it cant be that either. Which is why i'm confused because it should be working. Thanks for helping so far.
Baldrick1

@redmonkey391 

Sorry if I'm stating the bleedin'' obvious but you are adding @plusdsl.net to your username? I have seen screenshots of router pages from people having problems showing this to be incorrectly appended.

Moderator and Customer

redmonkey391
Hooked

I have put the @plusdsl.net
And its just not connecting.
Baldrick1

Fix

@redmonkey391 

So I guess that leaves changing your password regardless of whether you can use it to log into your Plusnet account. It must be worth a punt.

If that doesn't work can you upload a screen shot of your router Advanced/Broadband settings after redacting your personal details of course? Here's what mine looks like:

router.jpeg,

Moderator and Customer

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@redmonkey391,

I think it's likely service side barring where the exchange has blocked access because there's so many connection attempts.

Disconnect the router from the socket, or turn it off for an hour, a little longer if possible but no less. Once the exchange sees a period with no connection attempts it should then allow authentication again. Can you try this for me?

redmonkey391
Hooked

Thanks, literally changing my password helped, for some reason it was different to the one needed for broadband connection. Thanks for your help. Case closed.