Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD-W9980 setup

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: TD-W9980 setup

@graemev

If cost is a major factor then for a while I used a Draytek 2820 and an Openreach VDSL modem I got from the well known auction site.

I ended up buying the 2860 because I wanted 2 extra built in Ethernet ports and greater throughput. The 2820 wouldn't quite do the throughput my VDSL line could manage (perhaps 55Mb/s whereas the line can do 68Mb/s).

The 2820 and Openreach modem was otherwise absolutely fine.

I am the satisfied customer....
graemev
Grafter

One issue with the TD-W9970 is it's tp-link, which is the same brand as thee modem I have right now which is getting the problems (TD-W9980) ... anyone know who makes the Homehub5  ? My fears are around some nonstandard feature in the protocol stacks

graemev
Grafter

Cost is not really an issue, but lack of static routing means I simply cannot use HH5 (or the openreach you use) . There are other features I use now , like syslog, which I'd really like . The static route is the only issue (I can think of right now)  which just stops me using a given modem.

The tp-link box is cheap, but since they offer their PDF documents online I can see it offers the feature I need. The Draytek very proably offers the static routing , but I just happened to note there were lots of "issues" with the VDSL modem side; which is where my current problem exists (so little point in repeating that)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@graemev The modem in the 9970 gets a good review on kitz https://kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm which is why I got it. I've no idea how it performs as a router though.

The HH5 is made by Sagemcom.

You can get the Draytek manuals from here https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

The 2860 does provide static routes , see page 225

There's a couple of bargain 2830's on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=draytek if you're anywhere near Corfe Mullen or Linlithgow or even a 2920 in West Yorkshire. Put the 9970 in modem mode in front of any of those as long as you don't mind 2 boxes (and can stand the looks of the 9970Grin)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@graemev

For completeness, the Draytek 2820 was the router and I connected the Openreach device (a ECI Fibre Optic Modem from memory) as just a modem. That worked much the same as the Draytek 2860 from my experience.

Others like different devices but personally I like stuff that "just works", and by and large the Draytek fits that requirement.

I also like the way Draytek support their devices for a reasonable period of time but you do pay for that with the initial price.

I am the satisfied customer....
graemev
Grafter

The Draytek (thanks for the link) does support static routes and much more besides, it's a much more serious modem/router so I guess that’s' as you'd expect.  The Sagemcom site suggests several of their modems do support "many features" (including static routes) but I can't actually find a manual for the "home hub" (to be expected I guess) . When I first joined "Force9" I was given a Billion router . This had the ability to ssh onto the box and configure in a manner similar to the Cisco IOS . I wonder of the HH5 has a similar "back door" to allow more features to be accessed?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I wonder of the HH5 has a similar "back door" to allow more features to be accessed?

@graemev Nope, it's pretty much 'locked-down'.

As you say , The Draytek's are much more serious pieces of kit. I use them in the office (2820s still) for VPN tunnelling to client sites for remote support. Only problem I've had in about 4 years is a PSU went the other week. I've got  spare 2820 so just swapped the PSu but then got a couple of compatible PSU's from CPC for about £6,

On my 2830 at home I use, wifi scheduling to turn wifi off at night, for a VPN tunnel to the office and also to set some static DNS entries.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.