cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology NAS drive connection

Dicky

Synology NAS drive connection

Hi all

I’ve just recently moved over from Virgin to Plusnet and so far am very happy with the service. However I have a Synology DS214se NAS drive which is connected via Ethernet straight into the Plus One Hub which I am having some big issues with.
I have no problem accessing it via (static) IP address over the local network and it shows up in Finder (Mac user) and on all my TVs as a media server but I cannot in any way connect to it via the internet.
I’ve been through all the port forwarding via the Advanced settings on the router and checked and in checked every selection I could think would be effecting it.
The error I get on the drive when trying to test the connections is that I need to check my DNS settings on the router which I think I’ve done but may have missed something.

This is driving me nuts and I would be very appreciative of any help provided. And if I’ve missed any info off that is needed just let me know and I’ll try and fill in the gaps

Thanks
Richard
5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Synology NAS drive connection

Did the NAS have a fixed IP address?

The Virgin Hub, and PN Hub have different IP address ranges, that would be my first suggestion to check.

Dicky

Hi Mustrum and thanks for the reply
Yes the IP is set to 192.168.1.106 and I am able to access it via a browser on the local network using this address.
Would the IP range effect the ability to login to it via the internet, specifically via Synology quickconnect?
Thanks
Dicky
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Sorry @Dicky I did not read your first post properly and jumped to the wrong conclusion! 

So forget what I said, we had a recent similar issue where the fixed ip was in the 192.168.0.xxx range!!

Do you have a fixed IP address from PN - that and putting the NAS into the DMZ is what I believe you need to do - but it'snot something I have experience with.

Dicky

Yeah I read through that post, sadly it didn’t offer the solution I need

I did put the drive in the DMZ but that didn’t seem to work but maybe that coupled with a staic IP from PN could be a good try!

Thanks
Dicky
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Dicky

I really wouldn't put a Synology "open" to the Internet.

My guess is that the Synology connection service needs to be set up again.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/Tutorial/cloud_set_up_quickconnect

I am the satisfied customer....