Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching on my router WIFI via my 4G network

FIXED
sidewinder1
Dabbler

Switching on my router WIFI via my 4G network

Hi all.

I am trying to use my smartphone (Samsung) and it's 4G network to log in to 192.1.168.254 so that I can switch on and off my routers WIFI but the response I get is "Access to 192.168.1.254 was denied.". When I request details it tells me "You do not have authorisation to view this page. HTTP ERROR 403".

I have gone through the settings of my phone but can't see anything obvious to switch on or off. If I use my PC (connected to the router with a cable) I can switch the WIFI on and off and then use my phones WIFI over the router. I have searched the internet for the 403 error but none of the remedies on offer apply or work. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

11 REPLIES 11
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Switching on my router WIFI via my 4G network

Fix
You can't switch WiFi back on using 4G, the IP address 192.168... is a private internal IP within your own home network so you can't connect using the mobile providers network.
On some routers you can set it so it responds on the external(WAN) IP addresses however this is generally thought of as a security risk as anybody could try hacking the router.
sidewinder1
Dabbler

Hi KevinA thanks for the swift response.

I see what you mean. I had always thought that when I use my PC to switch on the routers WIFI it was going out to the Plusnet website where I make the command and then their server (or whatever device they have) was sending a command to my router.to switch on the WIFI. I didn't realise that the PC was connecting straight to the router. Well, that answers my question. Thanks for explaining that.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@sidewinder1

While you can't do this (or at least not easily) with a Plusnet router if you bought a router that supports inward VPN connections it would be possible.

How much do you want this facility ?

I am the satisfied customer....
sidewinder1
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment its not that important, more of a convenience. I tend to turn the WiFi off when I don't need it just to be a little more secure but when I do want it I have to fire up the PC, log in, do my stuff and then log out and power down my PC. Using my mobile over 4G would save me having to fire up the PC. I have a couple of WiFi devices but I don't use them every day so there is no need for me to have the WiFi on all the time.

Thanks again for the advice.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

If you have the hub one, I seem to remember the wps button also acts to turn the wifi on and off without logging in.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is there not two buttons on the top of the Hub One, a WPS button, and a Wi-Fi on/off button?

sidewinder1
Dabbler

Hello Mustrum.

On my router there is only one round button. It has a symbol on it that l;looks like a lollipop with two sets of brackets either side, something like this ((!)). I assume it's a test button. There is no wording at all.That's all I have.

sidewinder1
Dabbler

Hello.

I do have a button on the router but I don't know what it does. I have always assumed it is a test button or a reset button.

What is WPS ? I don't know what this means.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

First can you confirm which router you have - there is a description here

Both the Hub 0/2704n and Hub One have round power buttons next to where the power cord goes.

On the top of the Hub 1 has a reset button and a WPS button - the 2704n has them on the side.

Pressing the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button allows devices to connect to the router without manually entering the details.

Google will help provide all the information you cold ever ask for.

HTH 

sidewinder1
Dabbler

Hello.

My router doesn't look like any of those in the descriptions. On the back there is a label with Thomson 585 v7. All of the cables go in on one side where the aerial is and the round button is on the opposite side.

sidewinder1
Dabbler

Hi all.

Thanks for your help. I have just pressed the button (took about 5 seconds) and on came the WiFi. I have been doing this the long way for years and now find out how easy it could have been. Silly me.

Thanks all for your comments.