cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching off the lights on a Hub One router

paul49

Switching off the lights on a Hub One router

I am using my new Hub One router as an additional wi-fi acces point to improve coverage around the house. It's working well apart from the two irritating lights, which are flashing read and glowing orange warning me that the broadband isn't working. I have dimmed them in the settings but would rather they were both off altogether.

At the moment, my low-tech solution involves cardboard and sellotape. I'm sure that there must be a better way.

Does anyone know of a way of switching the lights off altogether? Is this an option that can be added as a future firmware update?

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Switching off the lights on a Hub One router

there isn't a way currently to turn the lights off.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Apart from using insulating tape or taking it apart and cutting tracks on the circuit board I'm afraid you're stuck. Plusnet seem to be having so many problems with their firmware at the present my guess would be that to change the firmware so that you can use it in a none standard manner is pretty close to zero.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

paul49

Thanks. I agree that in the grand scheme of things, it's a cosmetic annoyance. The cardboard solution is a good one for now, because the lights might be useful in the future. It would be nice to have an option to switch the lights off at some point in the future, especially as there is already an option to dim them. 

I don't think it's restricted to the non-standard way that I am using it though. There are posts from a couple of years ago complaining about the lights in normal usage. I guess that if it's not been addressed by now then it probably won't be. It would be interesting to hear from a Firmware expert at Plusnet as to how feasible this would be.

Reflashing with OpenWrt is tempting, but I would need to buy a USB to serial device and risk my hand at soldering. There seems to be a fair amount that could go wrong in the process. At the moment, a working device with cardboard stuck to it is better than a non-working device without Wink

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@paul49 

Have a look on Amazon for LightDims" (one word) - these may provide a more elegant solution for around a fiver.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you are happy to open it up and solder on wires then why not open it up and disconnect the leds? Let's face it these routers and BT Home Hub 5s sell for peanuts on Ebay, so you haven't got much to lose by having a go.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

paul49

Thanks everyone for your help. The blackout stickers are a more elegant than cardboard or strips of electrical tape.

I am going to hold off hardware hacking until my new contract ends because it looks like technically the router belongs to plusnet until then.