Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable router for future upgrade to FTTP

tstaddon
Rising Star

Suitable router for future upgrade to FTTP

Hi

I think my Hub One is on the blink, and I'm shopping for a replacement. 

This house is stuffed with work kit, IoT devices, sensors, monitors and a lot of office IT kit which is *mostly* connected to a TP-Link router in the loft that treats the PN router as a modem. 

I'm not bothered about mesh - most of those systems I've looked at are quite limited in terms of VLAN segregation unless paying megabucks, and I don't want all my eggs in one basket anyway. At least the way I have it set up, the stuff that needs to be secure is on a totally different network to the stuff I'm less bothered about.

In other countries, there's a router called the CenturyLink Actiontec C3000A which I think can bond VDSL and FTTP - the advantage with that setup would be that I could run both connections side by side.

Are there any good equivalents for the UK market?

3 REPLIES 3
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Suitable router for future upgrade to FTTP

I've used a Draytek Vigor to load balance in the past which worked very well. My model is a little old now, but their current range is probably worth a look.

I also like the Ubiquiti kit - the Dream Machine (and Pro version) is quite capable. I benefit by using Unifi switches and access points, so just the DM might not give the same advantages of managing everything through one interface.

Both Vigor and Ubiquiti kit manage VLANs well. 

Other alternatives are available, but I don't have experience of others.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Another vote for the Draytek solution.

I've a Vigor 2860ac and an AP800 (plus a couple of switches) and plenty of connected stuff.

It's all VLANed as I need and I've been very pleased with it all.

If I were buying now I would buy a gigabit capable replacement for the AP800 (probably the AP902) but with that reservation I can recommend the setup.

I am the satisfied customer....
tstaddon
Rising Star

Thanks for the insight. I plumped for a Fritz!Box in the end, see how that goes.