cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest a router upgrade from TG582n?

claire697

Suggest a router upgrade from TG582n?

Hi,

I'm trying and failing to set up a guest network on my Technicolor TG582n. All the links online go to the same page which no longer exists, potentially I may need a firmware upgrade, but apparently that's not being updated any more either. All of this suggests that perhaps it's time for an upgrade.

Any suggestions on what to buy? - I know you can get a free one from Plusnet, but to be honest, the free routers never seem that great. We use ADSL as we live near the exchange and are unlikely to upgrade to fibre.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Suggest a router upgrade from TG582n?

@claire697  Welcome to the forum.

You cannot set up a guest network with this router. You will probably get nearly as many different recommendations as replies as we all have our favourites and budgets. You need to look at the different specs to work out which suits your requirements. I would get one that works on both ADSL and VDSL. You clearly want guest network capability, which isn’t standard on all routers. I would also recommend that you go for a dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz  device.

Tp-link are quite popular and good value. I have also had good performance from ASUS routers.

Just make sure that you pick one with a built in modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

claire697

Thanks @Baldrick1

I'm looking at the lower end of the market, or potentially secondhand. I was looking for recommendations, as it seems that it's hard to filter on built in modems.

Claire

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@claire697 

If you're on a budget then it is worth considering an Asus N55u. They are only ADSL but have good dual WiFi far better than the Plusnet 2704n) and a guest network. I had one before I moved to fibre and it worked very well. They are also available on Ebay,  see  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-DSL-N55U-Dual-Band-WiFi-ADSL-Modem-Router-with-Gigabit-Ethernet-Port...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@claire697 

You say you're unlikely to be upgraded from ADSL as you're too close to the Exchange. Have you tried your number in the Checker to see what it says?

https://www.openreach.com/

If you'd like faster speed then Register an interest.

Brian

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @claire697,

I just had a quick look at your account and run some line checks to see what the state of your line is. I wonder if at some point you did have an EO (exchange only) line and wasn't able to get fibre - which is where the "too close to the exchange" comes from, but it looks like a new cab has been installed because fibre is now showing as definitely available for your line with the estimates below. 

So you can definitely get fibre services (FTTC, and G.Fast services), let us know if this is something you want to look at and we'd be happy to get someone to give you a call and provide a quote.

claire697

@JOLO sorry that wasn't clear. My non fibre speed is good, and it's not worth the extra £s to get fibre.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@claire697,

Ah okay, my bad! Then that's fine, I just didn't want you to think it wasn't something you couldn't get.