cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange slowdown when using 5GHz Wifi

iaptekar
Dabbler

Strange slowdown when using 5GHz Wifi

I recently purchased a new laptop, a Dell XPS 13" running Windows 10. The first thing I noticed was how slow the update process was of Wifi. Over ethernet everything was blazingly fast, but tests show I was getting <1Mbps over wifi. My other laptop, a MacBook, did not have this problem. Now on my Plusnet Hub One I have split the Wifi into separate 2.4 GHz and 5GHz SSIDs. I realized that my Dell was using the 5GHz one, so I tried switching it to 2.4 GHZ, and hey presto, I was now getting downloads of 40Mbps!

Any ideas what the problem is? The NIC on the laptop is a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX 1650s 160MHz, could this be at fault? The Hub One firmware is 263, is this too old? Everything is updated to the latest versions. My other laptop does register a slight decrease in speed going from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, however is it no so dramatic as with my Dell.

25 REPLIES 25
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Strange slowdown when using 5GHz Wifi

@iaptekar 

Have you tried the 5GHz band since splitting the bands?

Before blaming the laptop I would try on a different 5GHz network. You have the latest Hub firmware.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

iaptekar
Dabbler

Yes, I am using the split bands. The Dell has a dramatic slowdown on 5 GHz. The MacBook does have a slight slowdown but one I can live with and could be due to interference. To be honest, I'm surprised there is any difference.

I will try it on a different network when I get the chance. Stuck at home like most other people at the moment Smiley

ALS57
Hooked

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 15 with the AX1650 card. Did you get to an ideal solution on this?

iaptekar
Dabbler

Nope. Sometimes rebooting the router helps but mostly I just use the 2.4GHz band

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Very peculiar.

@ALS57 also read your post over here with interest.

I've just pushed a software update to both of your routers and I'm interested to know whether or not it's had any positive impact on the issue. Can you both reboot your routers and let me know if there's any change? - Thanks. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ALS57
Hooked

Hi Bob

Excellent that's fixed it!

With the following Network adaptor settings I now get 73.7mb/s Download, 18.5mb/s Upload and 7.8ms data delay, before it was 2mb/s Download.

2gb_per_sec.jpg

Can you please confirm that these settings are the optimum settings for plusnet routers (rather than 2.4ghz)?

Searching the internet this slow wifi is a common problem for XPS laptops using Killer AX wifi cards. Most people are fixing it by replacing the Killer cards with Intel chips to solve it.

Many thanks for you swift solution.

Cheers

Al

ALS57
Hooked

toldershaw

Hi @bobpullen . Just wanted to post here and request a router software update as I have also been experiencing very, very slow speeds on some devices whilst others are absolutely fine. I've split bands on the router to help manage things and keep the affected devices off 5ghz but that's not really a long term solution for our setup. Before splitting I was toggling 5ghz off and on but the devices I wanted on 5ghz stopped finding their way back to it.

Co-incidentally I have also been having problems on a different laptop which is closer to the ones seen here where you've also been advising. The laptop repeatedly reports no internet access when still connected and the connection has to be disconnected and reconnected to reset itself.

Our router is currently on version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 (last updated 28/08/19) and an update push would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@toldershaw update pushed. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

toldershaw

Thanks @bobpullen , much appreciated. Will monitor and let you know how things go.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@bobpullen 

I am also having 5G issues with slow speeds and disconnects. Moving the device to 2.4 gets me a connection but my 5G SSID is then no longer visible for me to go back to.

I am on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Might the update help?

Thanks.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

5GHz on this router is hopeless @bobpullen 

constant slowing and disconnects. Am now having to put everything on 2.4

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@PhyllisTyne I've just pushed the update to your router. You'll need to power off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @bobpullen 

Fingers crossed!