cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Connection Issues

FIXED
mattbodz31

Strange Connection Issues

I am having a very weird problem. I noticed that my internet speeds have been really hit and miss so thought I would check who is currently logged into my router. To my suprise there are multiple devices that are not anyone in my household (I know they are not friends or anyone I would have let access either). In addition, the email address on the hub manager username is one that I have never seen before. I could also not access the admin section as apparently my admin password on the router was incorrect.

After calling support I hard reset my rouuter. This changed everything back to defaults and briefly allowed me to access the router settings with my admin password. However, about 2 minutes later everything went back to having the dodgy email address and not allowing me to access the admin section anymore - odd.

What is even more puzzling is that the DSL cable AND the power cable are currently UNPLUGGED from my router. Yet I send this message from my PC that is connected to the internet (currently the only device in my house that is) via TP link wall plugs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_13?...).

Has anyone come across a similar issue before? I have a couple of theories but no way to prove them:

1. Someone has hacked my router and is restricting access and connecting their devices.
  2. Somehow ouur broadband line is being interfered with by a neighbours. Is it possible that two houses could be connected to the same line which is causing confusion?
  3. Potentially a combination of point 2, but also as my PC still has access via the TP wall plug, that the neighbour has the same (or similar devices) and that our electrical wiring is interfering and causing my PC to now pick up their broadband connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have run out of my own ideas.

Thanks

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Strange Connection Issues

Fix

More likely, your powerline is paired to a neighbours network.

Unplug it and see if you still have the same issues.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mattbodz31,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

It sounds something to be wary of however given the fact you have disconnected both power and the DSL cable from your router, yet you are still connecting via the TP links, suggests you have got an alternative Internet connection coming from somewhere.

I'd agree with @Mustrum here as I can't see how our routers could have a life of their own as they are quite social and like to remain connected, although I do sometimes wonder what they're up to in those periods of downtime when no one's around. ☺

Thanks - LF

mattbodz31

Hi Both,

Thanks for the response, after doing this it appears to have fixed the issue. Very odd thing to see as never experienced this before. It appears that now my hub manager is showing everything correctly.

Weirdly when I was using the powerline the hub manager looks like it was showing all of my devices as well as all the neigbours, yet was trying to log me into their network.

Any idea if there is a way to get around the problem with the powerline or will I need to find an alternative method?

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

If you install the management utility software you can change the password so that it doesn't connect to your neighbour. The manual is available on the tp link web site. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Glad you are sorted.

If you look at the manual you can set them up with your PC, changing the network name on both of yours should mean they won't pair with your neighbour.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/258/