cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address visibility in router

bearddude

Static IP address visibility in router

Hi,

is there a problem with PlusNet routers (Hub One) and them displaying devices with static IP addresses? Devices with dynamically allocated addresses are all listed but not those with fixed addresses. Seems a bit odd......

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Static IP address visibility in router

Hi there. The Hub One shouldn't have an issue with that. I've just checked your account which your community login links to and I don't see that you have a static IP or a block of IPs assigned to your account which is what you'd need to assign static IPs to certain devices. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think the OP is referring to setting private static IP addresses on the LAN side of the router, I seem to recall a similar question about this some time ago.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi, from the help pages.

DHCP Table

Menu location: Advanced Settings | Home Network | DHCP Table
You'll find a list of all the devices to which your Plusnet Hub has allocated an IP address in the DHCP Table in your Hub Manager. (Read more about DHCP)
The list shows devices that are connected or that have been connected, but aren't plugged-in or switched on now.
Click on the device's name to view more information about the device.
To only show devices that are connected now, click Refresh.
For information about each device, click on the device's name to view the Device Information.

Please note that devices with static IP addresses will not be shown

If you set the device to DHCP the hub will allocate one and then you can set to Always use this IP address then you will see them on the home page, IP addresses are allocated between .64 and .253. This can be ammended if required.

Dan.

bearddude

Hi,

I’m not allocating the static address at the hub, I’m doing it on the device. I’ve just switched to using the Hub One from my old TalkTalk router where the static addresses all reported fine - but not on the Hub One. Apologies for not being more specific.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@bearddude wrote:

Hi,

is there a problem with PlusNet routers (Hub One) and them displaying devices with static IP addresses? Devices with dynamically allocated addresses are all listed but not those with fixed addresses. Seems a bit odd......

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware, they don't display allocated fixed IP addresses. I guess it's not as much a problem but a missing feature for most users of these devices. 

Edit

If this is really important to you then you may be able to use your old TT router instead. Find out the model number and do a search on the Router forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Acknowledged problem. There's chatter somewhere else about this but I'm on mobile at the mo, so not easy to link to.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bearddude

Thanks for the responses. My immediate reaction to the situation - which seems to be that Hub One can’t see fixed IP addresses assigned to a LAN device - is that this is pretty basic stuff for a router, so Plusnet need to sort this out with a firmware fix. It’s funny how you only find out how good something is (or isn’t) when you actually start to use it......
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rabkazoo

I just ran into this. After assigning a static address I needed to change it. But since the device is no longer  visible in the router anywhere I can’t change it! Sad

only workaround I can see is to redo the dhcp list and leave a block of free ips and do everything manually on the clients - dns etc like the old days.

so the use fixed address really needs fixed or even removed since it’s a bit of a trap Wink

Cheers Rob