Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs on Plusnet Hub Two

FIXED
jcswright
Dabbler

Re: Splitting 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs on Plusnet Hub Two

Thank you @Mav.  I partly agree, because Plusnet is the 'cheap' option, but I also think that BT offers 'bells and whistles' that more sophisticated users neither want nor need - that Norton Security rubbish for example.  

I think that people with better knowledge of broadband are just going to want a simple service that gives them maximum up/download speeds.  I can see that those people might have their own routers/access points and will just go with Plusnet because they know what they're doing.

I'm going to have to go down that route myself now too 🙄, I'm just disappointed because the Hub Two turned out to be a pretty good device except for this shortcoming.  I'm sure there are lots (hundreds of thousands, by the looks of this forum!) who signed up with Plusnet and then were disappointed.  But does that matter, if they're already locked in to a contract by the time that happens?

d8smt
Rising Star

I've got round this by using an old Plusnet Hub One alongside my Hub 2. I need it for exactly the same reason, to connect cameras and speakers at 2.4Ghz. It's a decent workaround until I can get a new router.
If you've got an old router, do this:
- configure it with a different SSID than the Hub 2 SSID for WiFi on the 2.4Ghz channel
- assign the old router an IP address on 192.168.1.1 (assuming your hub 2 is 192.168.1.254)
- turn off the firewall, DHCP on the old router
- assign the allowable IP range for devices from 192.168.1.10 to 1.60 on the old router
- connect it into the hub 2 with an ethernet cable
- get some gaffer tape to cover over the blinking fault light.
Jobs a good un. Just get your devices that need the 2.4Ghz to assign to the SSID in the old router.
Will take twice as much power than 1 hub though.
If you want to connect it away from the hub2, so that it acts as an extender, just use a powerline point to point to connect the two LAN ports together.
Throughput on the hub 1 at 2.4Ghz is pretty lousy, but then again it is lousy on the Hub 2 as well.
jcswright
Dabbler

Thank you @d8smt - I'm looking out for a professional access point on eBay, as soon as one comes up I'll just use that and turn the WiFi off on the Hub Two.

It's a bit like the funny quote from a shop: "I've lost track of the number of times I've had to tell people there's no demand for it!" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But I guess Plusnet is so committed to its flawed implementation that hundreds of thousands of users are not going to change its mind - you get to a point where people are so entrenched that they're incapable of admitting or even recognising that they're wrong 🤣

IJJ

I've got to say that I think the inability to split is a major issue for me - I've managed a workaround but it's still not ideal.

I switched from Sky just a couple of weeks ago and our set up was working perfectly (7 years and only one minor issue). We switched mainly due to constant price increases. We were initially very impressed with what was a relatively simple switch over. 

Our setup is Hub Two to cover most of the house. Netgear EX7000 to cover Blink cameras that are out of range of the Hub Two. Powerline Adapters for the office (an outbuilding in the garden) although the WiFi just about reaches which is just as well as we are rural and the mobile phone signal is patchy to say the least.

The big issue that I have with not being able to split the SSID is that it's wreaking havoc with the iPhones. We have four in the family, we can be sat in the living room just 3m from the hub. We have full Wi-Fi signal and the hub is showing as connected to the internet but the phone won't connect to the internet. 

I did a trial for 3 days with one of the phones that I set to only use the Netgear channels and had no issues whilst the rest of the family had continual problems especially when they were upstairs (even with full WiFi). They've since adopted the work around and we've had no issues. That tells me all I need to know. 

I do hope PlusNet resolve this in a future firmware update but I won't hold my breath.