Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sophos XG Router Setup Help Needed

FIXED
anthgood
Grafter

Sophos XG Router Setup Help Needed

I am trying to setup a new Sophos XG router to use with my Plusnet Fibre. I have a static IP address with Plusnet that I paid £5 to get.

Now the problem is; the default way of connecting to the internet is selecting DHCP and it takes the info from Plusnet.

I have done this but am getting no internet. I am getting an ISP IP Address of: 128.0.0.1 and it is unchangable under DHCP. The only option I can change is DNS which is giving me: 127.0.0.1 but can be changed. The only ther option is to tick upstream proxy settings..

Like I say no internet. So either this I tried selecting STATIC IP. And to input these I need to put in manually myself

The IP Address:

The Gateway ISP IP Address (which is defaulting to the 128.0.0.1 but can this time be changed

DNS Server 1: Which can be changed but is defaulting to 127.0.0.1

Any advice? Please

6 REPLIES 6
anthgood
Grafter

Re: Sophos XG Router Setup Help Needed

Just telephoned Plusnets "technical support" telephone line and was told Plusnets WAN Gateway IP address is 192.168.1.1

And then when I said thats not what I need. As thats the inrernal LAN IP Gateway. I was told cannot provide any more help

Totally useless technical support.

Is anyone else able to help

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You need to set the Sophos XG to use PPPoE for the WAN connection, with your PlusNet username/password. Set it to obtain an IP address from the ISP. The fact that you have a static IP doesn't make any difference to the way the connection is set up, all it means is that PlusNet will ALWAYS allocate the same address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anthgood
Grafter

The problem with this is I cannot do this on the first wizard setup page. And can only do that on the manual page that Sophos recommends you don't do as you cannot easily register Sophos that way.

The other problem is on that page where I can select PPPoE. I believe i need to select the MTU and MSS. As I had issues with my normal router having 1500 MTU and I was told by Plusnet it needs to be 1492 MTU. The problem is this messes up my choices for MSS as it says it needs to be 48bits different. So I put in 1400 MSS

Even putting this in though I still cannot get online. So unless there is steps I am missing it just would not let me get online.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

An MTU of 1492 is correct. Are you using the correct details for the username & password. The username is <youraccountname>@plusdsl.net and the password is the one used to access the member centre.

I assume you have something like a BT Openreach or other VDSL modem in front of the XG ?

editt: this https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/124282 seems to indicate the XG will sort out MTu/MSS itself from the ethernet link to the modem

this https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/initial-setup/81598/pppoe-wan---aargh seems to indicate that you need to register it using another internet connection first then you can setup PPPoE , how stupid!. PlusNet only support PPPoE so you will either need to use another router temporarily or use someone elses internet to register it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anthgood
Grafter

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad you got it sorted.Smiley

It's crazy that the setup doesn't allow for PPPoE. Looks like it's been over a year and Sophos  don't seem to be doing anything about it...