cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions regarding possible improvements to my modem

npike
Dabbler

Some questions regarding possible improvements to my modem

Hi, Plusnet supplied a BT Openreach Modem and separate technicolor router 3 years ago. I am replacing the router with one that has improved WiFi performance (ac), complete with a new computer build. The modem is labelled NGA ECI-CPE MODEMS TYPE 1B.

I'm basically wondering if I can optimize the modem performance?

I was wondering if

1) An upgraded modem is now supplied and should I ask for one

2) Is there any update to the firmware and how is the update achieved and

3) Is there any advantage to me buying a new modem and if so, what should I buy?

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Some questions regarding possible improvements to my modem

1) They no longer give out Openreach modems. Plusnet have replaced it with the PN Hub 1 which is a combined modem / wireless ac router. It is basically a BT Homehub 5a re-branded with a Plusnet firmware. There are some known issues with this router regarding port forwarding if I remember correctly.

2) Firmware updates are pushed out be Openreach to the modem, the whole process is transparent to the end users and you have no warning or control of when it happens.

3) The advantage to buying a modem / router would be that you get some control over your config and are able to see what is going on with line stats etc.. You're also more likely to get firmware updates from the manufacturer, depending on what you buy. I would recommend a combined VDSL2 modem / router with wireless AC. 

See this topic for what to buy: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You can either decide to purchase your own (VDSL) one, or I am sure PlusNet can supply a replacement Hub One if you ask them. I am not sure whether you would have to sign a new contract, but you'd have to pay a delivery charge (£8 roughly I think).

The main advantage of buying your own is it isn't locked to a specific ISP. I wish BT and PlusNet didn't do this (must be some logic in it, just not sure what). If you're happy with your PlusNet connection then it won't be a problem.

Main advantage for you, is just having one box plugged in the house rather than two (I assume), so saves the hassle of having two power sockets and two boxes plugged in etc. 

npike
Dabbler

See this topic for what to buy: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Hi, many thanks for the help.

I have trawled through the above forum, and about the only info I have been able to glean is to buy the 

Asus DSL-AC88U AC3100 AC Performance Dual-Band ADSL/VDSL Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem Router, Supports ADSL, ADSL 2/2+, VDSL2 and the G.Fast Broadband Connections

on Amazon for £199. Although there seems to be a few moans about this unit.

I'm finding this a bit of an uphill struggle. This unit seems to fit the requirement from a technical spec point of view and is G.fast compatible for future proofing.

May I ask for you thoughts on this unit?

BTW, just to confirm, I am not on ADSL but Plusnet fibre running at about 70mbps.

Thanks

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

I can't really advise which combined modem / router to get as I haven't any experience of them.

The page below may help (there are some cheaper options on here too).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/2016-update-router-options-for-uk-fttc-fibre-broadband-...

I kept the ECI modem and swapped out the Sagemcom 2700N router supplied by Plusnet for a CISCO 800 series that had been sat in a box since we moved house. I picked it up on Ebay quite a few years ago to replace the Thomson PNet router before we had fibre. I wouldn't recommend the Cisco kit unless you are an IT professional with a mashocistic streak, as they are a right pain in the proverbial to set up properly.

The change in performance was remarkable, no more IPlayer buffering, pages loading faster and Speedtests consistently giving the promised speeds and no more random connection drops when streaming. Also saw a massive improvement gaming as my ping to the gaming server dropped from 25ms to 12ms.