Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoking Router :)

darknight
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Smoking Router :)

hey guys, hope im in the right place, but i know customer service is very good here and usually contacts me though here.

if not sorry Smiley

just renewed my acc to you, thanks, but i have a prob again, our speeds drop a lot, still due to the bt not putting our line up yet (from last year) on a pole and still over the hedge!

but on to main bit, our router started to smell of burning and sure enough one eve there was a bit of smoke, prob could do with a new one.

thanks again for swift service, best provider by far 

17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Smoking Router :)

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@darknight When did you renew your contract? If it was very recently, you may be able to get PN to send you a Hub1,but if I was you, I'd spend £20-£25 on a BT HH6 from that well known auction site.

John
darknight
Dabbler

yea done it just now Smiley

oh ok, that one works with PN then yep, just plug n play?, ill see what happens here then if needed ill check that out, but to be fair we have had ours for  loooong time

jab1
Legend

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the Hub1 - the HH6 is an all-round better option, and configuration/set-up details are well-documented on the 'My Router' board.

John
darknight
Dabbler

nice, thanks for the info, nice cat too Smiley

jab1
Legend

Not my cat, unfortunately it is a 'famous' one called 'Grumpy Cat' - Google it.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey @darknight thanks for your post on our Community Forums. 

That's not good at all, I've arranged to send you a new router and also a returns bag separately for the burning one. If you could return that to us to the details on the freepost returns label, we can analyse it internally.

Thanks also for renewing with us!

Let us know if there are further issues once you've got it or anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

@jab1 wrote:

Not my cat, unfortunately it is a 'famous' one called 'Grumpy Cat' - Google it.

And after all this time I thought it was your cat... Haha. Interesting

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Don't want to divert the thread, @Gandalf - mine was a 'Felix' cat -might put up a picture later.😉

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. Probably something for General Chat. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

If the router is smoking, have you tried nicotine patches? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Shep exits stage left 😉
darknight
Dabbler

hehe, you lot

wicked cheers for your help, say still works just smells pretty bad.

thanks all

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Shep41 At the risk of encouraging the off-topic (Forum rules and all that) that made me LOL. Cheesy

@darknight No problem at all, if you can manage without it for a few days I'd recommend switching the router off. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pint
Aspiring Pro

Using your own router will get better results, however its always worthwhile to have the ISP supplied router as  spare.

As for smoking routers, and bringing this thread full circle, i know of someone whos router died not long after their cat weed in the router, apparently cat wee doesn't do router much good, and the smell coming from the router isnt that good either

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nice @pint 

I may suggest that to my sister, who lives at (where I manage the PlusNet account).

She likes her animals. Has three cats and recently decided to get a dog now too. I went over there to doggy sit for a while (I would say today but it is yesterday now). We've only a Hub One there, and her work have offered her to work from home permantely full time. Nice 😊, will save a lot in travel costs - a monthly ticket into Central London from where she lives is around 200 paaaand (cockey way of saying pound!) plus child club costs.

Sorry before you all now tell me off, a bit back on topic. So here goes nothing:

I split the bands today as I noticed her WiFi was not good, and she was moaning about it. So I've connected her to the 2.4Ghz band. The router is the only one she has there, so I am thinking for any recommendations for a replacement with better WiFi and keeping the old one as a spare. As of course, now she needs the internet more than ever now. So I wiil suggest to her getting a new one and keeping the old one.

So I'll be interested to hear on any recommendations on a new router with good WiFi. The Hub is only in the room next door.