Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV losing Wi-Fi Connection

FIXED
stevehs
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Smart TV losing Wi-Fi Connection

Since switching to Plusnet we have had a problem with streaming on our Samsung smart TV. So far it only happens with BBC iPlayer but is pretty consistent. After several minutes it freezes frame and eventually a message appears saying "something went wrong". On investigation it appears that the TV has lost it's Wi-Fi connection despite the Hub Manager displaying the TV as still connected. The only way to resolve the connection is to switch the TV off and on again. I have tried switching frequencies and channels, disabling blue tooth and have even reset the smart hub but so far nothing has worked. The only thing I have noticed from searching the forum is that my router firmware may not be up to date, it's Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 | Last updated Unknown.

14 REPLIES 14
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Smart TV losing Wi-Fi Connection

Hi @stevehs, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your wireless connection issue.

As you've mentioned the below:

So far it only happens with BBC iPlayer but is pretty consistent.

Can you confirm whether or not the issue is occurring with iPlayer on any other device or is it just the TV that seems to be losing connection?

stevehs
Grafter

Just the TV.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @stevehs,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It may be worth checking with the manufacturer of the TV as there may be compatibility issues. Could you check and let us know how you get on?

Thank you.

stevehs
Grafter

Fix

Have been in contact with Samsung and they advised a manual software update from their site using a USB stick.

Have implemented this and it does seem to be working again at least tested without disruption for 1 hour.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

That's great to hear @stevehs. By all means monitor since the device update and please do let us know if issues persists.

stevehs
Grafter

Problem is back again. Samsung advised I now contact the BBC so have sent them an error report.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

In honesty, when I first read your post, I didn't think it was a TV issue, but when you said it worked I didn't post.

I still don't think it is the TV issue and I also don't think it's the BBC iPlayer either.

I actually think your TV is bouncing between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi spectrums

Try this, if the router is at it's default settings, grab the card on the back of it, for the admin password, then click the following http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal;))

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if the TV works

This isn't a fix, just a temp measure to see if it improves.

stevehs
Grafter

I desynced the wireless so it's permanently on the 5GHz band but it did not seem to make any difference. The TV is a 2014 Samsung which incidentally changed it's architecture the following year to Tizen. So far neither Samsung or the BBC have offered any insights as to the real cause, suggesting it's interference/wi-fi related despite other devices in the same location working fine.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @stevehs

I've asked our products guys to update the firmware on your router to the latest one just to cover all bases - I'd normally expect this to be done within 2-3 working days and you won't need to take any action for this to happen.

Just keep an eye on the firmware version in the router hub and let us know how you get on once it's been updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion

I desynced the wireless so it's permanently on the 5GHz band but it did not seem to make any difference.

It won't. Your current router software (ending 259) has some issues which affects certain 5GHz enabled devices. It doesn't affect all. My suggestion of turning off 5GHz was only a suggestion, but it might have 'fixed' the TV as a short term solution.

Anyway, I hope software 263 fixes the faults with the previous version.

stevehs
Grafter

Seems it's done checked just now...

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @stevehs,

Thank you for letting us know that your router has now moved onto the latest firmware version. Please let us know if you continue to experience connection problems now that you're on the latest firmware.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

I've got to be missing something here. The router started running the 263 software on the 08/04. By the powers of deduction, this issue remains the same on this latest software.

(anyway, I'll leave this thread now:))

stevehs
Grafter

There is still the odd freeze on my TV iPlayer which seems to resolve with a reboot. I am now convinced the problem is my TV's hardware because I booted up my old samsung blu ray smart hub and it works in HD with iPlayer no freezes. The version of iPlayer on the old hub is different as the sign-on button is missing which apparently means it lacks some security requirements. So I'd say it's not Plusnet, despite it starting with my move to the new router. I'd say the TV does not work as it should do with the new router.