Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart T.V. and Hub One.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Smart T.V. and Hub One.

I have a new Samsung smart T.V., latest software installd, which seems to be having trouble connecting and staying connected to my Hub 1.

I have contacted Samsung who, after remotely accessing my t.v., advise that the problem could well be a firewall issue with the router itself.

I've logged into the Hub 1 advanced settings and found the firewall tab. However, there's only something about port forwarding then selecting a game and device from the drop down lists.

How do I disable the Hub 1 firewall if, in fact, there is one and it may be turned off?

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Smart T.V. and Hub One.

Have you tried separating the Wi-Fi groups, add a 5 to the SSID of the 5Ghz range to make it easier to identify. The Firewall should not cause disconnects, and as you have found there is not much you can do with it.

newagetraveller
Pro

Thanks. No I haven't.

Would the t.v. be better connected using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz range? I doubt it supports 5GHz anyway?

I suppose setting up a separate SSID for each would be better then see which of the two the connection it is stable on?

I'm still not convinced the t.v.'s wireless is not faulty because it wouldn't connect at all during the initial set up. When it disconnects it will not re-connect until it is switched off then on again (re-boots) then it's fine until the next time it disconnects from the Hub1!

I think there is a PN video about setting up 2.4 and 5GHz separately in the router's settings.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Can you connect via ethernet cable, I believe modern Samsung TV have a ethernet port.

It may be best to configure the TV on a DHCP static IP in the Hub One's GUI. With TV's often being often switched off / in sleep mode they can loose their IP address to other devices.

In the routers GUI go to "Advanced Settings > Home Network > Devices > Click on the TV > in the next screen click "Always use this IP address" Yes > Apply.

newagetraveller
Pro

Thanks for that.

I probably didn't go far enough in describing the problem, sorry.

The t.v. does connect wirelessly but if watching something on, eg. BBC iPlayer, it will freeze because the wireless link, t.v. to router, has failed. If I then try to reconnect, it will not. Message on screen "unable to connect to wifi", or similar. Then, if I switch off the t.v. and on again it will connect until the next time it randomly disconnects from the router. It will only then re-connect by switching t.v. off and on. It's all random. Might go a day working fine then it might go a few minutes.

It was connecting to the 5GHz range. I've separated those now (individual SSIDs) and the t.v. is conected at 2.4GHz, whether or not that makes any difference?

Yes, the t.v. has an Ethernet socket. I'd need a 5 metre long cable to connect directly to the router though.Smiley However, if necessary I will buy one and try as suggested by npr.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Rather than a 5m cable, I use powerline plugs between my router and near the TV, then use a small switch to feed the TV/Sky box/Blu Ray/Roku and so on, tends to be a lot more reliable than Wi-Fi.

newagetraveller
Pro

Connected a 5m Ethernet cable from t.v. to router and did as you suggested.

The t.v. is connected wirelessly via the 5GHz range and sine last Wednesday has not disconnected itself. Smiley

Time will tell, but so far so good. Thanks.