Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection within local network

FIXED
werth
Fixes: 1

Slow connection within local network

Hi I am having an issue with my router, I suspect. My PC and other devices are all connected to Plusnet Hub One via WiFi (2.4GHz only, 5GHz disabled). Often times my internet connection slows to <10Mb/sec according to speedtest, or even dropping altogether. I am starting to think that the issue is with my router. Firstly Plusnet support has confirmed the line looks fine from their end, but more importantly whenever I get these slowdowns I have trouble simply connecting to my hub's web UI. Also file transfer speed within my local network gets pretty bad too, e.g. at best times I can get ~3.5 Mbytes/sec when transferring files between my PC and my home server running on raspberry pi, but often the speed drops to ~300kB/sec. Anything I can do to diagnose on my end? Are there any known issues that can be causing this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Slow connection within local network

Why not enable 5ghz band which is much faster? Ensure SSID you give it, differs from other channel.
Also d/load a wifi analyser programme, to check which channels are most un use in vicinity of your house;
then choose least used channel, and input manually on your router.
werth

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@werth 

Why not join those of us who have given up with Plusnet hubs? You can get a far superior BT Smarthub 6 for peanuts on auction sites. Settings are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

werth

I was thinking of this bth.

Does BT Smarthub allow you to specify custom DNS? I'd love to use PiHole to filter out ads and this isn't possible with the Plusnet hub.

werth

Fix

Spent some time fiddling with wi-fi driver settings (iwlwifi) and managed to get the connection working again. Still not sure what caused the issue in the first place.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@werth wrote:

Does BT Smarthub allow you to specify custom DNS? I'd love to use PiHole to filter out ads and this isn't possible with the Plusnet hub.

With the Business version of the Smarthub you can define which DNS servers you wish to use. This feature is not available on the residential versions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'