cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow WiFi

chris101

Slow WiFi

could any one recommend a decent wifi router as the one supplied by plusnet is utter [-Censored-].You have to be in the same room as the router in order to get wifi

8 REPLIES 8
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Slow WiFi

Have you tried changing the wireless channel ?
chris101

ive changed all the channels nearly every day but still the wifi is useless had this problem since upgrading to fibre broadband.Before changing from broadband to fibre broadband I could get wifi any where in the house even in the garden'cant wait for my contract to end

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

A few things to try:

1. Separate the 2.4 and 5GHz channels, see here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587.... After that try each channel in turn.

2. Download a wifi 'sniffer' app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. This will tell you the signal strength that you are getting from the Router, which will give you an indication if your Router is faulty. It will also show you if your neighbours are using the same channel as you, if so then go into the Router advanced settings and select the clearest channel.

3. If you want another Router with better Wifi performance for not much money then go onto Ebay and buy a BT Smarthub 6. The Router board on this forum will tell you how to set it up, it's dead easy.

4. Don't despair!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andytay
Rising Star

I had the same issiue with the hub 1 so i ditched it and went back to the thompson router and BT modem that plusnet originally gave me. Best thing i ever did! no issues with wifi or dropped packets.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I must confess I assumed that the OP was talking about a Hub One but reading it again I see that it could be a Hub Zero. Whilst I have my opinion (and one gathering dust in my 'junk dump') this device is best summed up in the following review: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review., the following quote is noteworthy:

The router's 2.4GHz performance was lacklustre at best. With our test laptop’s built-in 802.11n wireless adaptor we saw speeds of just 3.9Mbit/s at 10m, dropping to a positively crawling 2Mbit/s at 25m. These are some of the worst speeds we’ve seen from any router.

The BT Smarthub 6 works on both ADSL and Fibre and remains my recommended solution.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@chris101 what is your wired BB speed if you plug directly into the router?

Have you tried a factory reset, just in case something isn't working right?

I also endorse a BT HH6 as it improved my wifi massively.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Also worth considering the TpLink TD-W9970  which can be picked up on the bay of e for not a lot.

Very capable and reliable router , I replaced my hub one with one of these and it's just past 60 days uptime.

Fit and forget like a router should be.

Even the much maligned hub zero is more reliable than a hub one in my experience.

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)