Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly Router Question!

FIXED
pn0705
Dabbler

Silly Router Question!

I should know this but I'd like to check. I got connected to fibre a few years ago and an engineer fitted a master socket. He fitted a modem to it and a BT hub (Hub 4 I think).

When I joined Plusnet a few years ago, I was supplied with a Plusnet Hub One. I just connected the Plusnet Hub One to the modem as the old BT one was.

Looking at troubleshooting (we have slow speeds at times), I see that the Plusnet Hub One can be directly fitted to the master socket. Is that right? Does it give any bonus speed? (I haven't wanted to try it as I'd probably break it!).

Thanks for your help.

P.

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Silly Router Question!

Fix

Yes you can do away with the openreach modem.

Just plug the DSL cable from the master socket to the DSL port on the router.

pn0705
Dabbler

Thanks Mustrum! I'll try that just to get rid of some wires!

Can I ask a follow up?

If I decide to buy another router (my Hub One is a bit old and rattly now) does it have to include a modem? 

Thank you!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

If you don’t get one with a VDSL modem you will have to back to using the Openreach modem.

Lots of people on here use a BT home Hub 6 which can be found cheaply on free ads or eBay.

pn0705
Dabbler

Thanks for that. I have an Apple Airport AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac that I inherited but have never used.
Does that just plug into the master socket or does it have to go through the Openreach modem? Is there any disadvantage to using a modem?

Many thanks!
Mustrum
Community Veteran

There are people on here who know about those routers, alas I am not one of them!

I beleive they can be tricky to set up if you don't know what you are doing, and I do think they will need a modem.

The advantage of a combined modem/touter is that is one box, and can provide better information about the condition of your line.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @pn0705 

If you put "AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac" into a search engine then you will find links to the details of that device

Dave

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just had a quick look as well @pn0705 

You would need some modem device to plug into the WAN port of your Airport.

EDIT: Yes, I believe it will have to go through your Openreach Modem. Not 100% but it should work.

Don't own that device so take what I say with a pinch of salt 😀