cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should my Hub 1 have updated its firmware?

FIXED
DavRo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Should my Hub 1 have updated its firmware?

I recently reinstated my Hub 1 because I was moving house and wanted a standard setup in case of problems. I did that a couple of weeks before the move to ensure it worked OK and in anticipation of it updating its firmware.  But it didn't; it's still on f/w version ending .226 dated 11/2016 which, reading posts here, I think is not the latest.

There are no problems (either with the broadband or the move) but I wondered whether the router should have updated itself. I don't particularly wan't to do anything, or risk lising settings: it's working fine. Just curious.

15 REPLIES 15
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Should my Hub 1 have updated its firmware?

Try a factory reset and wait a couple of days. If that doesn't work, then we'll need to reassociate your router with your account at our side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DavRo
Rising Star

Thank you for replying. But my question was not "how do I update it?" but "should it have updated itself?" - and by implication "if not why not?".

As I wrote, it works, I don't want to do anything - and certainly not a reset which will lose my wifi and other settings.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet push out updates to routers using a protocol called TR069. For it to work the router needs to be registered with Plusnet's servers as the firmware update is pushed out to the router rather than the router requesting the latest firmware from Plusnet.

@bobpullen is suggesting a factory reset, as that will put it back to the out of the box config with the setup user,  which will re-register the router and  re-download all the settings from Plusnet's servers.

DavRo
Rising Star

Why would it not be registered? It's my original router, as I used when I joined, and I've been with PN ever since - but using a different modem/router.

Before asking I read about the TR069 stuff and looked in the logs for the message that said it was inactived (I forget the exact message) and didn't see it. I can look again - what should I find or not find?  Or are you saying that PN stops updating a router if it disappears for some period?

I am genuinely curious.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

It's my original router, as I used when I joined, and I've been with PN ever since - but using a different modem/router.

Given that you haven't been using the Plusnet router for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if Plusnet have a house keeping process that deletes a router from their server's if it hasn't been seen for a while.

@bobpullen is the expert on this and should be able to advise if this is the case.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, it is the case. However I couldn't say for sure that's what's happened in this instance. I'm not in the office so don't have the ability to check.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DavRo
Rising Star

OK. It would be interesting to know what triggers suppresion of updates - a period of time? - a failed attempt to push an update? - n failures to contact daily? If, say, it were after 6 months I could swap it back periodically.

I'll probably be reconnecting my other router eventually (it's in one of these removal boxes somewhere...) but before I do I'll do a reset. Obviously I want it available in case I have problems and need support, and it'd be best if it were up to date. But right now I won't risk disturbing it.

DavRo
Rising Star

So, two days ago, in the evening, I reset the router. Still on f/w ...226.

Just to reiterate: I'm more interested in what's supposed to happen than actually updating it.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bobpullen

Would you mind continuing to pick this up?

Thanks,

Dave

DavRo
Rising Star

I've now reinstated my own modem and router and put the Plusnet Hub1 away. Before I did that I dumped the TR069 messages from the log in case they're of any use to anybody - attached.

Thanks to all who showed interest.

The move of the broadband to my new house went flawlessly, BTW - so thanks to PlusNet moves for that.

(This forum is very fussy. Doesn't like a plain text file with no extension - this is Linux. Doesn't like .log as an extension.)

DavRo
Rising Star

Two months later...

I've reinstated the Hub 1 for reasons explained in this thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Netgear-and-plusnet/m-p/1587549

I reset it straight away. It's on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 07/11/16

Given the nature of my problem it would obviously be a good idea to get it on the latest firmware. As asserted upthread that should happen in the next day or so, but it didn't last time I reset it. So if support can force that I'd be grateful

DavRo
Rising Star

The Hub 1 hasn't updated its firmware over the past 72 hours since I reinstated and factory-reset it. I just rebooted it. It's still on 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 - 07/11/16

I'm getting IPC6023 errors on BT Sport TV. I'd like to update the firmware before reporting that.

@bobpullen - how can I can get this updated?

Attached is the recent TP069 log

DavRo
Rising Star

On the router base:

Hub s/n +081441+NQ64014658

MAC AC84C9AA74EA 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@DavRo, your router's going for a reboot now to apply an update. That said, there should be no issues viewing TV content using the firmware version that's currently installed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team