cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I disable the 2.4G wireless LAN?

peteuk

Should I disable the 2.4G wireless LAN?

Hello,

I could not get my WiFi to reach my living room on either the 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ frequencies. Both are working

I now can because i have installed a Power line adapter.

My signal is now stronger with the 5GHZ in my living room so I have selected that on all devices to date. (And because I'm told the 5GHZ is faster too) 

My questions are:

would I get stronger or faster coverage if I:

1). unsync 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ LANs? (I have seen a post on this but didn't understand why it was done)

or

2). disable the 2.4GHZ frequency - if that's possible?

Thank you for your help,

Peter

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Should I disable the 2.4G wireless LAN?

@peteuk 

The reason for seoarating the bands is that some devices have problems when they are synchronised. I would recommend it.

If you do this there is no point in turning off the 2.4 GHz band. If you want to then you will find the option in the advanced wireless settings in your hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

peteuk

Hello Baldrick1,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry to be thick but please can you confirm you mean I should switch off the synchronisation because "some devices have problems when they are synchronised"?

If so please can you teach me what is the synchronaisation I am switching off? (If you have time). I only ask so I learn more about how this works. It's not easy to find out IMO. Thank you.

As you say there is no advantage is switching off the unused band I will leave it

Thanks again,

Peter

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@peteuk 

When the 2.4 and 5GHz bands are synchronised this means that both bands are transmitted with the same name  (SSID) and password. The idea is that your dual band devices automatically select the strongest signal. So as you move around the house your device might automatically swap bands so that it always uses the best.

Some devices get confused by this and can't decide which band to use and flip flop between the two. This can cause problems ranging from lower speed to refusing to connect at all.

I don't think that it is common practice for routers to be set up with the bands synchronised by default apart from BT group devices.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'