Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Swap Asus n56u with BT Hub 6?

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Should I Swap Asus n56u with BT Hub 6?

I have 8 devices running on my Asus N56u, Even though new devices are 5ghz I get complaints saying its slow and have to revert back to 2.4ghz.

PS4 online and Youtube is constantly used all day long, I get the odd moan here and there of lag, which might be PS4 servers or ISP related.

I am on fibre and get constant 38+mb speed wired/wireless.

So I was looking at the BT Hub 6 which has 7 Antennas ( 2 more then the Asus N56u) and was wondering is it worth me buying a cheap HUb 6 from ebay as the N56u is very old.

I get -44 RSSI on wifi Analyzer and thinking if i have 7 Antennas may it'll be more lower.

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Should I Swap Asus n56u with BT Hub 6?

I doubt you’ll get a clear answer on this. I would get a Smarthub 6 and try it. You can always sell it on or keep it as a spare router. Alternatively you could use the Smarthub as your router and maybe use the Asus in Access Point mode to improve wireless coverage

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hello,

Please take a look at https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-shou...

It may explain your situation.

Dan

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

I was hoping somehow to catch anyone who has jumped from a similiar router to bt hub 6, They advertise it as best coverage, Like you said no harm in trying and sell it on or i never thought about your 2nd suggestion. thanks

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Only the Ipad 4 runs smoothly on 5ghz, the Iphones are ridiculously slow and disconnect.

steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I used to have a couple of the N56 Asus routers, my memories of them are great. Ensure they are on the latest firmware for a start as Apple kit can have a tendency to dislike older non patched equipment of it's own accord.

The Hub6 does get some good reviews about having great coverage but I'd have expected the Asus to at least keep up to a certain degree even though it isn't AC.
www.steveocee.co.uk
kevdwyer
Grafter

Hi,

I had the TP Link W9980 for a couple of years followed briefly by the Plusnet Hub One before switching to The BT Business Hub 6 which I got for a good price from Ebay.

Really very pleased with the wireless performance, it is rock solid. My main computer is connected by Ethernet,  but a quick scan has just shown about 16 devices connected wirelessly to the Router ( family visiting for a couple of weeks ) I'm seeing 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 4 Android phones, 1 Chromecast, 2 Alexa devices and 2 Google Home devices and a Printer. ( not all connected at the same time, but registered with the WiFi )

All are connecting without issue and Netflix streaming is not affected.

So I'd say go for the BT Hub 6, the Business version has more control available than the domestic version and they are both available for a good price if you check out Ebay / Gumtree

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Im on 41mb speed, are you on similar speeds?

Just trying to see if speed might be effecting my issue or router.

We never watch tv and constantly streaming and gaming  online.

kevdwyer
Grafter

Just checked, 37 down, 9 up, Ping 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey @Faizan786

While I can't provide assistance on choosing a third party router (As I personally find the Hub One does the job for me), I've checked things out this side and all seems OK including the VLAN which is showing as green on the latest report.

Do you know if the issues occur solely over WiFi or via ethernet too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet