cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up router for media on server to smart tv (DNLA, twonky etc)

keithscarfe

Setting up router for media on server to smart tv (DNLA, twonky etc)

I have recently switched to Plusnet from BT where I had a Home Hub 3 as my main router for my home network. Attached to this (wired) I have a QNAP NAS server and a (wireless) smart TV. I could access all the media stored on the server from the TV. Play movies, see photos etc.

Now with the plusnet router, all wired the same, this doesn't work any more. The TV can 'see' the QNAP server but when I look into the folders it says no data. 

The only thing that has changed (apart from firmware updates on the QNAP) is changing from the BT router to the Plus net router. I have been through all the settings I can find on the router but cannot find anything that seems to be related to this. Also I obviously cannot remember all the settings in the BT one to see if there was something in there I had to set to allow data through or something like that.

Does anyone have any idea what might be my problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Setting up router for media on server to smart tv (DNLA, twonky etc)

Which model PN router do you have ?

If you are still on ADSL ( or have a Fibre modem ) then your HH3 could be used on the PlusNet connection https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Using-a-BT-Homehub-3-or-2-on-Plusnet-ADSL-or-FTTC/ba-p/1322578

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Setting up router for media on server to smart tv (DNLA, twonky etc)

@keithscarfe

If there is any set up on the television for this I would delete it and start again.

I can't see why it shouldn't work as I would expect your NAS to "advertise" the services it offers and devices to make use of them.

Do you have another device (tablet or phone) to test the NAS media serving functionality ?

A PC will also show media serving devices in "network".

I am the satisfied customer....