cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a second router, connecting to LAN on Plusnet router

TenBob
Hooked

Setting up a second router, connecting to LAN on Plusnet router

Has anyone got a successful connection when using a 2nd router (OpenWRT, mines a BT HH5) from the WAN port of the 2nd router to the LAN port of the PN router?

I can't seem to get the configuration correct, I'm not able to ping any device from the HH5, internally or externally. My HH5 has a 192.168.2.1 address (changed from the default 192.168.1.1) as this will be a 2nd network.

The HH5 router can access the internet if I use the LAN instead of WAN (i.e., setup as a dumb access point, extending the network).

Apols if this has been covered before.

13 REPLIES 13
clwyd
Hooked

Re: Setting up a second router, connecting to LAN on Plusnet router

I want to try this using a second linksys router from a BT SmartHub which has just been installed to replace my Plusnet one (I have had to transfer from PLusnet to BT to get Fasf Fibre).  When I've sorted out my Plusnet email problem I'll try this so will stay in touch.   Sorry I am not helping at the mo, but

Derek ...

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi TenBob,

You will need to configure the openwrt WAN address as a static IP with an address in the 192.168.1.1 to .253 range.

Set it outside  the DHCP address range of the PN hub one. Otherwise the hub one could assign the same address to another device....

As I do not have a Hub One I do not know the default DHCP address range.

Regards

Richard

TenBob
Hooked

Thanks Richard.

I've got my WAN address set to static address 192.168.1.2 which is outside the DHCP scope (starts at 192.168.1.64, to 253). Same issue, can't get out on the WAN side. Gateway & DNS set to the PN router 192.168.1.254.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

What is the LAN subnet of the 2nd router? It needs to be different to 192.168.1.x 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TenBob
Hooked

LAN subnet is 192.168.2.x
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

@TenBob wrote:

Thanks Richard.

I've got my WAN address set to static address 192.168.1.2 which is outside the DHCP scope (starts at 192.168.1.64, to 253). Same issue, can't get out on the WAN side. Gateway & DNS set to the PN router 192.168.1.254.

Just checking, the second router WAN gateway should be 192.168.1.254 but the second router LAN DHCP should not be giving out addresses in the range of 192.168.1.x. The second routers LAN DHCP should hand out its own address.

Does thecsecond router WAN router have a netmask, if so what is it set to?

TenBob
Hooked

Netmask is 255.255.255.0.
Dhcp is turned off on router 2, I'm using static addresses, trying not to confuse things anymore.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Can you post the 2nd router config files or if using Luci screenshots of the WAN and LAN config. Plus the client config?
TenBob
Hooked

Network file from etc\config directory attached. Sorry for the delay, and many thanks Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@TenBob Ah! whilst I'm not completely familiar with OpenWrt it looks like from that config that you have it set for a LAN->WAN bridge

Both myself and I suspect @RichardB assumed you had it in router mode. To work in bridge mode I suspect the lan IpAddr needs to be in the same subnet as the primary router. Try setting the LAN IP to 192.168.1.3

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TenBob
Hooked

Thanks for all the help, but after a week trying to configure this POS (my mistake, I thought how hard can this be with all the tutorials and documentation online?), I've decided to buy a super-duper modem combined router with all the features I need already built-in.

If anyone reading this thinks OpenWRT is anything other than expert level firmware, think again my pedigree chum.

Now, where is my hammer to smash this thing into a million pieces.

clwyd
Hooked

Hi Tenbob

2nd Router DNS server clash

I wonder whether your problem is the same as I had - simple, obvious but does not seem to be well known;   BtTsent a new hub, an engineer and insisted they must have a line fault before I cured it!!!

If you add a 2nd  router it will act as a second DNS server causing intermittent (& apparently indecipherable) problems in Internet access.   You MUST disable DHCP / DNS on the 2nd one  -  this solved a month long issue for me after I had transferred from  Plusnet  to BT Fibre.

Clwyd

clwyd
Hooked

PS:   You'll have the same problem with the new router if you don't disable DNS DHCP on it!!