cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Chromecast on a Plus Net Sagem Hub One router

Zammo76

Setting up Chromecast on a Plus Net Sagem Hub One router

Hi

I've just switched from BT Fibre to Plus Net fibre and have installed my newly delivered Plus Net sagem Hub One router but I'm having a few issues setting up my Chromecast.

I can run through the setup process using Google Home on my phone but when I get to the final stage of setup I get the following message:

"Chromecast set up successful

However, we cannot discover your Chromecast on the network. In order to cast, connect your mobile device and Chromecast to the same Wi-Fi network. Also, ensure AP isolation is disabled on your Wi-Fi router."

Both my phone and the chromecast are connected to the Plus Net network. I've also looked at the router settings to check AP isolation isn't enabled and the nearest setting I could find to it was Plus Net Access Control, which isn't enabled.

The only thing I can think that might be causing this issue is that the Chromecast connects to the 2.4GHZ spectrum of the Plus Net network and my phone is connected to the 5GHZ one. So this maybe causing the two devices to not be able to connect with each other? With my old BT network I ended up having to separate the two, but this caused issues and I don't really want to repeat that.

If anyone has any suggestions or success in connecting a chromecast to a plus net router please respond. 

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Setting up Chromecast on a Plus Net Sagem Hub One router

With my old BT network I ended up having to separate the two, but this caused issues and I don't really want to repeat that.

The PlusNet Hub one is basically the same as the BT Home Hub 5. So whatever you had to do on that, you're likely to have to do the same on the Hub one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zammo76

Yeah seems like it.

I tried what I outlined (seperating 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ). Then rebooted the Chromecast and ran Google Home and it connected (strangely I shouldn't have to do this as the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ networks should act as one with devices being able to communicate regardless as to what they're on).

The downside of this network separation with my previous BT network was that trying to get a fast speed wifi connection upstairs in my house was very difficult.

I'll see how it goes. 

Phil_72

Hi there. I seem to be having the same issues with Chromecast. After many reboots of router and factory reset of Chromecast, I still get the same error you get. The setup reaches the final stage and I get "setup is complete but we're having trouble discovering your Chromecast on your network."

It's very frustrating. The odd thing is, even after I get that message and everything appears to be connected on the TV source, showing Chromecast connected to the network, ONLY YouTube seems to be able to detect it - whereas other apps which have discovered the Chromecast broadcast in the past now can't see it (the icon just doesn't appear).

I spoke at length to a plusnet agent about it but it seemed there was nothing in the Hub One's internal configuration that could be stopping this..

So.. I wanted to know if you'd managed to sort it out?

I, like you, tried 2.4 and 5ghz networks but both come back with the same problem.

AP isolation? Where even IS that in the Hub One? A quick search shows it to be disabled by default, so I've no idea what on Earth is blocking the broadcast.

I'm on Android, by the way, but even my Laptop's chrome browser can't see it.
Zammo76

Don't worry about AP isolation, I think its called Plusnet Access Control on the One router and by default its switched off anyway.

Its strange that separating 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ isn't working for you. All I can think is that maybe your setup differs from mine and that's causing the issue. 

Here's how my config setting looks so you can mirror it:

Go to your router on a browser and click on Advanced Settings then on the 2.4GHZ tab do the following:

Wireless network enable: Check Yes

Then the only other change is that I added to 2.4GHZ to the Wireless SSID, so I could identify the different networks.

Then click Apply. Note you'll be disoconnected from the network and have to log back in before you do the next step.

Once logged back in go to the 5GHZ tab do the following:

Wireless network enable: Check Yes

Sync with 2.4GHZ: Check No (maybe you hadn't done this before?)

Then I added 5GHZ to the Wireless SSID name,

Then click apply.

Again your most likely be kicked off the network and have to reconnect.

Once that's done I factory reset my Chromecast (to clear any old settings it had) I think this was imperative as the first time I attempted to connect it I hadn't done this and it refused to work. 

Then I restarted my mobile phone and connected to the 2.4GHZ Plusnet wireless network. 

Opened up Google Home and ran through the Setup process on my Chromecast. Then it worked. 

Sometimes when I want to Cast I have to connect to the 2.4GHZ wireless network (which is what the Chromecast is connected to) in order for it to work. Other times the 5GHZ one works fine. 

I have two Chromecasts and from my experience I can only use the 2.4GHZ network to cast to the Chromecast upstairs and for the one downstairs the 5GHZ or 2.4GHZ networks work fine. But your experience might be different. 

Phil_72

Hi again Zammo and thanks for getting back.

No, I'm set up exactly the same. In fact, before I'd even set up Chromecast when I got the router, I'd separated 2.4 and 5 channels purposely as I wanted to 'see' both SSIDs.

It's something recent that's causing this invisibility as there have been no changes to my setup now, to when it was working only a couple of weeks ago.

Can I ask you. Is your WPS switched on or off? Again, somewhere on the internet, that had been a fix for someone. Odd, I know.

I just want to get to the bottom of this strange non-discoverability when I've no clue how it could possibly happen.

I set up again earlier, incidentally, and I got the message again saying 'complete but we can't seem to find your Chromecast on the network' (that initial message you got)

I'd love to know why. Three Android devices and all of them only have casting connectivity (icon visible and connectable) via YouTube.