cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up BT Smart hub

Lyne
Hooked

Setting up BT Smart hub

I was with PN early this century, and am returning next Tuesday.

In preparation, I have acquired a new BT Business Smart hub model 088315 for £20, I have reset it, switched off smart set up and input PN username and password.

iOS devices are significant users, plus PCs and LG smart TV.

I have read here about some issues with iOS and the combined WiFi signals. Is this is still a issue, and if so, would I be advised to separate the signals?

Is it advisable to change the DNS servers? If so, does one chance both ipv4 and ipv6 servers?

Anything else?

Thank you for any help.

Michael

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Setting up BT Smart hub

Separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands is recommended. As for DNS, PlusNet's servers are pretty slow so an alternative may be better. Disable all IPV6 stuff because PlusNet don't support it yet, if ever.Sad

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Lyne

I have the same model and it works very well. Definitely separate the WiFi channels. You should also consider switching public WiFi to OFF on the Business hubs or you might find the neighbours using your bandwidth. Note that although you change the DNS in the Advanced IPv4 settings page the Status page will still show the Plusnet DNS addresses. However, Ipconfig /all entered on the command screen of a windows computer will demonstrate that it is correctly using your preferred servers.

I have left IPv6 in the default condition - as far as I can see it doesn't make any difference.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lyne
Hooked

Thank you for your replies.

I set the DNS, and separated the WiFi bands. Public/guest WiFi was already off.

Unfortunately, and try as I might, the WiFi password was not then accepted on of three various devices despite restarts etc. The password stuck for the original SSID set when the bands were joined. I could only make it connect using the QR code for the changed SSID, but the password was then required on re-connection. So I have had to eventually give-up befuddled on this, and have re-joined the WiFi bands. I'll try again once it's live.

Michael

Baldrick1

If all you did was separate the bands then the 2.4GHz band SSID should not have changed. The 5GHz band SSID should be the same except that -5 is automatically added on the end. Both passwords stay the same.

Note that not all devices are capable of working at 5GHz.

Moderator and Customer

Lyne
Hooked

It was exactly as you say, but the password simply isn't accepted to set up after splitting on either band. Where it has been input before splitting, it continues to work for the original SSID.

It looks rather like a fault to me. Perhaps firmware updates will help. My laptop does not have the 5GHz band, but four iOS devices do.

Thank you for your help.

Michael

Baldrick1

Very weird. What firmware are you on? Mine is SG4B1B008198 last updated in August. Even though you're not on the BT Retail service you will find that the router still updates its firmware automatically from time to time.

Moderator and Customer

Lyne
Hooked

It's was "new" and has been reset anyway. Firmware is SG4B1B008104.

Many thanks,

Michael

Baldrick1

These hubs check in with BT every day and will update without any intervention  It looks like yours will update itself automatically again at some time.

Having said that mine has updated at least twice since I installed it and I have never had problems connecting devices. The only thing I have done differently is that I have changed the SSID so that I don't get confused with neighbours BT routers. Due to physical location of routers I get a stronger signal from my neighbous smarthub 6 in my living room than I get from mine. It's very easy to try to connect to the wrong one, hence the change.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Do any of your passwords have a symbol such as @ £ ? etc as I believe The BT Hub does not like them.

Lyne
Hooked

No I didn't change the default password.

I had changed the 5Ghz band SSID from the added -5 by suffixing GHz but went back, and spent the afternoon generally going around in circles. Didn't get as far as choosing my own SSIDs.

Best regards,

Michael