Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up BT Hub 6 router

mikepetti42
Dabbler

Setting up BT Hub 6 router

Hi

Have purchased BT Hub 6 and tried to set up but get to management screen on BT and it tells me that there is no wi fi connected. Reset Hub etc but still nada. Any suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance

Mike

30 REPLIES 30
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Setting up BT Hub 6 router

@mikepetti42  Welcome to the forum.

Did you follow these instructions including the factory reset?  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... It sounds like wireless could be switched off. Have you gone into the wireless settings to see if it is on?

Edit

@mikepetti42 

I assume that you have reconnected all your wireless devices using the password on the pull out tab?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mikepetti42
Dabbler

ks for quick response....I have set up hubs in past and onlly have had to pop in the 192 number in browser and it connects to home router page to enable me to change passwords etc but this time it goes into BY homepage then tells me there is an error and the wi fi is not connected....so head scratching time

Baldrick1

@mikepetti42 

Let's start from the beginning:

1. Have you set it up as instructed and are you connected to the internet and that the Status shown on the home page says 'Connected'?

2. What passwords is it that you want to change?

3. Have you connected to it via an Ethernet cable and set it up? Reading between the lines it sounds like you have just plugged it in and expected to set it up wirelessly.

If you are not connected you have to remember that you are adapting a product not designed to work on the Plusnet service so it's not just a case of plugging it in and logging in, you need to follow the instruction in my previous posts.'When all else fails follow the instructions', regardless of your previous experience.

If you haven't the facilities to connect to it via Ethernet then you should be able to do it wirelessly but you MUST disconnect your computer from all other wireless transmissions then factory reset the Smarthub, wait for it to reboot then connect to it using the address 192.168.1.254 and the password on the tab. If after the Smarthub has rebooted if you can't connect to its wireless SSID it must be a duff Smarthub. Note that regardless of whether you use wireless or Ethernet you MUST NOT plug in the DSL cable until advised. One other thing to note is that if the Hub 6 is old and your Plusnet password includes special characters you may need to change this to connect to Plusnet. This has been corrected on newer Smarthubs.

If you have a working hub and you follow the instructions carefully you should have no problems.

Moderator and Customer

mikepetti42
Dabbler

I am clearly being an idiot....why wouldn't you connect DSL (telephone ) lead from start????Huh

I am going to try with LAN connection so I have reset hub at least twice so should not need to do so again? I did get purple light once but not all the time on reset it goes from green to fllashing red then permanent red

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@mikepetti42 wrote:

I am clearly being an idiot....why wouldn't you connect DSL (telephone ) lead from start????Huh

I am going to try with LAN connection so I have reset hub at least twice so should not need to do so again? I did get purple light once but not all the time on reset it goes from green to fllashing red then permanent red

The problem if you connect the DSL cable too early is that it is already connected to BT's retail's servers via the default username who chuck you off as soon as you try to use non BT retail credentials.

The Red light might be due to having the DSL cable connected, is it playing ball now?

Moderator and Customer

mikepetti42
Dabbler

Sorry for delay was awaiting another BT hub 6. Has arrivedd but same problem exists. To do a complete run through I disconnect Plusnet hub and use same power/DSL lead plugged into BT hub add an ethernet to laptop then switch on do a reset , after a minute or so the BT screen pops up but says it cannot connect to internet. Have repeated cycle over and over again but still same. Put cables back in to Plusnet hub annd connected with a minute........a complete mystery.

Mike

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@mikepetti42 

use same power/DSL lead plugged into BT hub add an ethernet to laptop then switch on do a reset

No, you need the DSL lead disconnected at first!. Follow @Baldrick1 's  guide referred to above https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... exactly, do NOT plug in the DSL cable until it says to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikepetti42
Dabbler

I cannot get into settings as web page just suggests using troubleshooter then advises I phone BT

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Are you following the guide ?

With the DSL cable disconnected , factory reset using  a paperclip , and then access the hub settings using the 192.168.1.254 url ( steps 2 & 3 in the guide ). That should get you into the Home page , then continue as per the guide

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@mikepetti42 

If this persists look at your web browser and you might find that two windows have automatically opened and the Home Page is on the other.

Moderator and Customer

mikepetti42
Dabbler

Hi...no checked all open windows`and all same.

mikepetti42
Dabbler

wed the instructions all as suggested up to flashing purple and BT hub page loads with error notice that internet is not connected after troubleshooting it suggest phoning help line.

Tried another laptop and smartphone they all get same error message page opening, about to throw inn bin  and continue to use unreliable Plusnet hub. thanks for all your help though.

Much appreciated

Mike

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Mikepetti42 .....
Can you please confirm that you have reset the router and entered your user/password details with the phone/DSL not plugged into the phone socket?
Plug the phone lead in after entering your details and saving them. A power cycle may be required.