cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting timer to turn wifi off at night

rubatron7

Setting timer to turn wifi off at night

My neighbour believes that she suffers from Electromagnetic Sensitivity and that the main cause of her problems is the wifi from my router, she has asked if I can turn it off at night, so that she can sleep, my understanding was that you can set a timer for the router to be off at certain times as quite frankly I will forget to physically turn it off and on every day. I have logged into the router but can't find any way of doing this - any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Setting timer to turn wifi off at night

ALWAYS helpful with such queries to specify what router you have; your router will
have a switch with a wifi symbol on; easiest way is to turn that off each night when you retire
to bed- router remains connected to internet. She & you will no doubt have many other wifi devices too
such as wireless doorbells/Hive or Nest thermostats/battery landline phone /mobiles etc..
rubatron7

Thanks, have tried that already and she said it makes no difference to the readings on her radiation meter as it's the actual router that is the problem, she has removed ALL technology from her property and is clearly expecting me to do the same.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

What sort of "radiation meter" does she have?

I expect it isn't actually measuring anything sensible, and is just sold to exploit gullible individuals.

There is no plausible physical mechanism by which your router could have any effect on her sleep patterns. 

Perhaps she could try a homeopathic remedy? Or a tin-foil hat?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@rubatron7 wrote:

Thanks, have tried that already and she said it makes no difference to the readings on her radiation meter as it's the actual router that is the problem, she has removed ALL technology from her property and is clearly expecting me to do the same.

I hope that she's also had her electricity supply disconnected to stop 50Hz keeping her awake and the local mobile phone transmitters shut down!

I guess that it takes all sorts and you unfortunately live next door to one of the more eccentric ones,

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@corringham wrote: Perhaps she could try a homeopathic remedy? Or a tin-foil hat?

Or get a better mattress.

@rubatron7  Tell them to foil line their house if its supposedly a problem. Your router etc transmit to what is allowed by Government standards. Turning it on and off will have implications for your line speed. There might be a setting where you can stop it being used at certain set times but whether that actually stops it transmitting is another matter.

To be frank, I wouldn't have even engaged with the neighbour.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I would go for the placebo effect.

Tell them you now turn off the router every night even if you don't.

No change on the "radiation meter".

Tell them the router gives off so little "radiation" that it will make no difference to their reading.