Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up BT Hub 6 and Change of Password

FIXED
NicDB
Grafter

Setting Up BT Hub 6 and Change of Password

Dear esteemed members

I have been a Plusnet user for many years and have been happy with the service apart from the 2704n Router as the wifi and ethernet speeds are slow. I have a TP-Link access point router set up to this router and the speeds are much faster via that.  I have just got hold of a BT Hub 6 to remedy this.  However my PN password contains an "&" which the Hub doesn't like.  I would like to first change the account password and get this setup before I start trying to install the BT Hub to minimise downtime and unforseen problems

Please can you clarify the following:

• The Broadband Router login password is the same as the Account Password?
  • If I change the Account Password via the Member Centre will the old router automatically update the Router Login password? Or do I manually put the new password in when I connect to 192.168.1.254?
  • I have seen and printed out Baldrick1's Hub setup guide from 2018. Are there any amendments to this guide?
  • I have seen reports of people having trouble/broadband drop outs/router restarting using BT Hub 6. Are these historic and have these issues been resolved in more recent times?  Is it worth the trouble to use the Hub over the 2704n router?

Any help and pointers most welcome.  Setting up routers and home networks terrifies me!!! lol

Many thanks,

Nic

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Setting Up BT Hub 6 and Change of Password

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

@NicDB wrote:
  • The Broadband Router login password is the same as the Account Password?
  • If I change the Account Password via the Member Centre will the old router automatically update the Router Login password? Or do I manually put the new password in when I connect to 192.168.1.254?
  • I have seen and printed out Baldrick1's Hub setup guide from 2018. Are there any amendments to this guide?
  • I have seen reports of people having trouble/broadband drop outs/router restarting using BT Hub 6. Are these historic and have these issues been resolved in more recent times?  Is it worth the trouble to use the Hub over the 2704n router?

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about setting it up. You can't hurt anything and if you screw it up all that you have to do is factory reset it and start again. In answer to your questions:

1. The Smarthub admin password is on a label fixed to the hub. The password that you need to enter into the hub settings along with your username followed by @plusdsl.net is the one that you use to log into your plusnet account.

2. Yes, if you change your account password your Plusnet provided hub will automatically pick it up the next time that you connect it.

3. This guide still works but if you have the business version then be aware that Smart Setup has moved to the status page.

4. How far are you going back looking at reviews? There has been a few having a reboot at midnight recently but I believe that this has now been been fixed. I have had no problems in using one for the last three years.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

NicDB
Grafter

Thanks for the fast and comprehensive reply Baldrick1. Most appreciated.

Quick question about Microfilters- do I need one with this BT Hub? I've not had to use one with the BT Openreach Modem and the 2704n router.  Will it work without? If I need them will any make do? I'll need to buy some if I do. What source is best?

I belive we have FTTC as we have a normal copper line from the pole to our house.

Thanks

Nic,

Baldrick1

@NicDB 

If you have a filtered faceplate on your master socket  and extensions are connected correctly then you must not use any other filters in the house. This applies to all modems and combined modem/routers like all of these.

I assume that you are aware that you no longer need the Openreach modem as the DSL cable plugs directly into the hub.

Moderator and Customer

NicDB
Grafter

master-socket.jpg

Seems like I have a master socket with a built in filter as I have no microfilters on any other phone sockets in the house. The cables out of this socket go to: 1/ a socket that the current Openreach Modem is connected to and 2/ a socket that our DECT phone/answer machine base unit is connected to.

Seems like I'm good to go with the install then?

Baldrick1

@NicDB 

Yes, it's an old one but is filtered so you will be fine.

Moderator and Customer

NicDB
Grafter

Thanks Baldrick1. You really are a fount of all knowledge!

Most appreciated

Nic