cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up 2 WiFi Networks Connecting Plusnet ADSL 2704n to Netgear R7000 Running VPN

FIXED
Sub_G

Setting Up 2 WiFi Networks Connecting Plusnet ADSL 2704n to Netgear R7000 Running VPN

Let me start by prefacing this with apologies if this is solved elsewhere. I've searched the forums and Googled the issue but can't find an answer that is applicable to my exact circumstances (or at least that I understand is applicable). Therefore, if all you need to do is redirect me to another post/link I will be happy to follow the instructions there but any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I have just joined Plusnet and want to recreate my setup from when I was on Sky: 

ADSL router: Provides internet access - used for PS4 and Netflix devices (wired and wireless).

Netgear R7000 router: Running Tomato and Nord VPN. All traffic through here should be encrypted - used for Amazon Echo, smart plugs, iPad and phone (all wireless).

Unfortunately, running an ethernet cable from the Plusnet 2704n LAN port to the R7000 WAN port does not work like it did with the Sky Hub. I have not changed any settings on the Plusnet router nor any on the R7000 as all I did was move the cables from the Sky Hub to the Plusnet router. 

I have tried connecting to the R7000 LAN port instead which made the smart plugs detectable by their own app on a phone connected to the Plusnet router but didn't give any directly connected devices internet access including the Echo and iPad.

I need to keep both wireless networks running as I want the VPN for certain devices but Netflix is not a fan of being behind VPN. I don't understand why the same setup (WAN port) doesn't simply work after switching to Plusnet.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Setting Up 2 WiFi Networks Connecting Plusnet ADSL 2704n to Netgear R7000 Running VPN

Fix

@Sub_G

Unfortunately, running an ethernet cable from the Plusnet 2704n LAN port to the R7000 WAN port does not work like it did with the Sky Hub

Probably because the R7000 is using the same 192.168.1.x subnet as the 2704.

Two options:

1 - connect to a LAN port on the 7000 ( as you've done) BUT disable DHCP server on  the7000

2 - connect via Wan port but change the subnet on the 7000 to say 192.168.0. x

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sub_G

Re: Setting Up 2 WiFi Networks Connecting Plusnet ADSL 2704n to Netgear R7000 Running VPN

You, sir, are a true gent. Thank you for your help. I kept the WAN plugged in and changed the subnet to avoid the clash. 

I now have everything working as intended. All plugs/Echos visible and have confirmed the VPN is working on anything attached to the R7000.

thank you again for the swift, clear and accurate solution.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Happy to have been of help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.