Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing the WiFi password on my router

carlcaulkett
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Securing the WiFi password on my router

I popped into the front room just now and discovered my router with the red light showing. On my screen I saw a message about having to reconnect to my router. I tried to do this and after 3 attempts was informed that my password was incorrect. I then did a factory reset on the router and am now able to access the router with the original password. Does that mean that someone had temporarily succeeded in changing my WiFi password.I find that difficult to believe as I don't think that the person under suspicion (hereinafter known as PUS, quite approriate!) has that much technical chops.

Or is it possible that my router is spontaneously resetting its password, and also switching off spontaneously as apparently happened earlier. After reading some of the tales of woe about router problems on these boards, I haven't rule out that possibility either.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Anonymous

Yes, you are missing something. What Oldjim claimed was:

Note that if a device is connected via a LAN cable they can read the wireless password but this applies to all routers

I suppose it may be technically true to say that if your computer has a 27 inch monitor then you can crack the wireless password, but the size of the monitor is actually irrelevant - as is the LAN cable connection to the router with all those methods of cracking the wireless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I realised that and I'd just edited my post prior to your post. Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

wrote:
Or is it possible that my router is spontaneously resetting its password, and also switching off spontaneously as apparently happened earlier. After reading some of the tales of woe about router problems on these boards, I haven't rule out that possibility either.

Who knows? If it happens again then go into the admin pages and see what password is set.

I see that there are BT Smart Hub 6s going today on Ebay for around £30. You could always buy one of these, scrape off the label fixed to the back and start again with a much better router. Obviously you still have a problem if PUS has an Ethernet cable.

I still favour locking it in a box or cupboard!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could ask if it is possible for Plusnet to disable the reset button on your router (the Technicolor 582n had this capability).

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re logging in using the router password - this is why I mentioned it - and I assume this is where it is but I don't know if the card is removable

If you want to view or change any settings on the Hub Manager pages, you'll need the Hub Admin password. You'll find this on the card stored on the back of your Hub.