Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV killing my router signal?

FIXED
paulalde

Samsung TV killing my router signal?

Afternoon,

For the past few months I've been experiencing constant signal drop out on my router which I've managed to pin point to my Samsung TV. It seems that roughly 5-10 minutes after turning off my wifi connected TV my router signal drops and connections are lost on every device in the house. When this happens the router disappears as a selectable connection on all devices and this remains the case until I restart the router and then normal service resumes. 

Before I moved to Plusnet I was with BT and never experienced any problems using a wifi connection for the same TV. I'm wondering if this could be to do with my firmware possibly? 

9 REPLIES 9
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Samsung TV killing my router signal?

I hope this is relevent!

My Panasonic TV has a similar effect but only if it is connected by ethernet. If the connection is over wifi, then nothing strange happens.

If I connect over ethernet, then everything works fine for a while but at some point (probably when I switch the TV off but I have not analysed it well enough to be certain) my router disconnects from the internet. (My router and modem are separate things, the modem is a bridged plusnet TG582n).

I have done enough testing to be sure that in some way the TV is interacting with the router or modem and triggering the disconnection.

So you are not alone.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

paulalde

Unfortunately that router went back some time ago.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

GrayHair
Hooked

I also started getting regular disconnections after the last time my Samsung TV updated itself.

I changed the router for a Home Hub 6A which I got from Ebay very cheaply. Configured it using the information on this forum and it has been stable ever since. Just a option if it gets to you like it did to me.

paulalde

Would any members of the Plusnet staff be willing to share any thoughts possibly?

Cheers

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all, 

I've personally had a similar issue when I first started using a Hub One with my Sony Bravia TV last year. A bit of trial and error changing the WiFi channels got it sorted: https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@paulalde, I've upgraded your router firmware to the latest build. Let me know if it's helped.

@EnglishMohican, as you're using a much older device, I'm unable to do the same I'm afraid Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulalde

@bobpullen I've not had a single issue since your last message regarding the upgrade. Thanks very much!

It's worth mentioning that I was previously assured by Plusnet on live chat that my router was using the most up to date firmware. 

Thanks again!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@paulalde, excellent news. Thanks for getting back to me, and apologies for the misinformation in the chat session.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵