cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samknow White Box & PN One Router

tiffy
Rising Star

Samknow White Box & PN One Router

Just changed out my router today in preparation for FTTC fibre migration next week, using the PN supplied Hub One, existing router was Netgear DGND3700v2 which has been working perfectly with the SK WB..

Using an ethernet connection to my desktop PC through the SK WB exactly as per the connecting method of the Netgear router, however, I can't get internet access nor can I connect to the PN Hub One configuration menu except by Wi-Fi, the router is synch'd perfectly.

If I bypass the SK WB and connect the PN Hub One router directly to my desktop PC normal service is resumed but obviously the White Box is not seeing any traffic.
Have e-mail'ed Sam Knows support, awaiting a reply.

As both SK White Boxe's and BT Home Hub 5a's (PN Hub One's) are both very common would imaging this issue has cropped up before, any suggestions pending reply from Sam Knows ?

9 REPLIES 9
tiffy
Rising Star

Re: Samknow White Box & PN One Router

Mysteriously, the connection through the Sam Knows White Box started working when I re-connected back to original as per the setup with my previous Netgear DGND3700v2 router, ie., ethernet connections from desktop PC to White Box to PN Hub One router, no configuration changed made to anything !

Did receive limited assistance from Sam Knows tech. support but only basic suggestions offered, check cables etc..

Next issue, can't get my WD NAS drive to work, this was connected directly to an ethernet port on my Netgear router to preserve the 1Gb LAN capability, SK WB has only 100/10 Mb LAN ports, worked perfectly on the Netgear router, can't access at all through the PN router.

Have experimented with configuring the PN router as a modem feeding my Netger router as per some very good instructions on previous forum posts, limited success, can now access my WD NAS via the Netgear router but can't get internet access even though PN router is synch'ed perfectly.

Have the RouterStats dedicated HH5a monitoring program running, produces very limited stat's., as stated by the author due to the router not using the Broadcom chip set, no comparison to RouterStats running on my Netgear router.

All in all, I am fast gaining a dislike for the PN Hub One router which I have now just connected basically through the SK White Box, these stat's with the basic RouterStats will get me through the VDSL migration pertiod scheduled for next week, after that I will very likely try to use a cracked Huawei HG612 modem which I have feeding my original Netgear DGND3700v2 router or purchase a suitable VDSL2 router which will support connection to my NAS drive.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@tiffy

"PN router as a modem feeding my Netgear router"

I didn't think this was possible with a "Hub One"

On the face of it, it may be possible to make the Hub One (acting as a router not a modem) worth with your Netgear.

If they share the same address range this might not work well. One needs to be 192.168.0.xxx and the other 192.168.1.xxx (or at least the two need to be different).

If you get an Openreach modem from somewhere

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Fibre-Broadband-Can-I-Use-My-Netgear-N600-Modem/td-p/996193/...

might be helpful.

I am the satisfied customer....
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Hub One has gigabit ports, have you tried connecting the NAS to it instead?
tiffy
Rising Star

Hi markhawkin, Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, after my fibre migration completes this week I think I will certainly change to a BT Huawei HG612 modem feeding my Netgear DGND3700v2 router, I actually have 2 available, both now unlocked, inherited from relatives who upgraded, I like to monitor my link stat's and the unlocked HG612 running DSLStats is quite impressive as opposed to the Hub One running the dedicated RouterStats HH5a monitor, very limited stat's as not using Broadcom chip set.

The link supplied for Netgear router / HG612 is very useful, that will be the next project after my fibre migration giving the system a few days to stabilise on the Hub One.

tiffy
Rising Star

Hi Browni, many thanks for the reply.

I have only just sorted the WD "My Cloud" NAS connection problem this morning after much frustration and experimenting, the solution turned out to be very simple in the end.
I had set up fixed IP address'es on my previous Netgear router, had already realised this on my Humax satellite and free-view boxes, these were easily fixed from their respective menu's, just switched back to DHCP..
However, not so easy on the WD NAS, can't get at the menu without a LAN connection.
The IP range on the Netgear router is 192.168.0.*, the PN router being 192.168.1.*

Eventually found a link which pointed me to the WD help site providing the solution, a short push (min. 4 sec's.) of the reset button on the WD NAS resets IP address back to DHCP, also resets the PW back to blank but leaves everything else alone, lo & behold, full comm's. restored.

That will keep me going until next week when hopefully fibre migration will be complete, I have every intention of changing back to my old Netgear router again combined with an unlocked HG612 modem.

tiffy
Rising Star

A further twist in the saga:
Having decided to substitute my Hub One router for the Huawei / Netgear DGND3700v2 combination, I followed the excellent, detailed procedure provided a few years ago by "Anotherone" and "MisterW" as per this link
https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/thread-id/217686/page/2
this was kindly suggested earlier in this thread by "markhawkin".

All went completely to plan, with the unlocked HG612 synch'ed I could extract full stat's. from LAN2, DSLStats ran perfectly, got over 2 Kbps. increase in DS synch speed than with the Hub One.

Following the procedure, now booted up the Netgear router, connected from LAN1 on the modem to the WAN port on the router, re-configured using wizard, internet connection established, happy days.

However, I now find I can not communicate with the HG612 so can't see the stat's., LAN2 is connected to a router LAN port as it was before, only difference being it's now connected to the Netgear and not the Hub One.
Even more strange, have tried a direct ethernet connection from HG612 to my laptop still won't talk, used this medium to unlock the unit so definately did work, old laptop, running Windows XP..

I am running Windows 8.1, 64B. on my desktop PC..
Think it may be something to do with repairing / re-establishing network connections as outlined by "Anotherone" in the procedure, however, I have re-booted the PC, Netgear router and HG612 but still no joy.

I note there is a suggested procedure on the Kitz web site to enable collection of modem stat's via the WAN connection, ie. no need for a LAN2 connection, this seems very complex but may have to try this.

Any suggestions appreciated.

tiffy
Rising Star

Long day, late night yesterday, solution to last post seemed so obvious this morning !

HG612 not connecting to laptop by direct LAN connection:
Had omitted to change network connection parameters back to DHCP server OFF and insert static IP address of 192.168.1.100, HG612 comm's re-established.

No connection to HG612 on LAN2 via Netger router in order to monitor stat's:
The Netger router is configured as DHCP server with an available IP range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254, will not permit adjustment to 192.168.1.*, ie., only the last field is adjustable.
Being able to communicate with the HG612 again, now changed the IP adress from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.254 to suit the Netgear router IP range, note, even though DHCP is OFF on the HG612 it must be temporarily enabled and the available IP range changed to suit the new IP address, I changed to 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.253 then disabled DHCP again before saving.
If the DHCP range is not changed the new modem address can not be saved, errors are displayed.

The HG612 now communicated perfectly on LAN2 with my desktop PC via the Netgear router.

I am running the excellent DSLStats program for stat's monitoring, could not use this on my old ADSL2+ installation as the Netgear router had anomalies with Netgear kit which is not supported by the program author.

Don't forget to change the logon IP address to 192.168.0.154 (or whatever was chosen) in what ever program is being used for monitoring, DSLStats defaults to 192.168.1.1 as per HG612 default setting.

All of this is probably very obvious to most of the forum old hands, however, after following the excellent procedure originated by "Anotherone" & "MisterW" to get the ADSL Netgear router working with the Huawei HG612 modem which worked perfectly for me, the forum member involved at the time of the original post did not seem concerned with monitoring the line stat's. so this aspect was not covered, hopefully my experiences & solutions will act as an addendum to the original procedure and help any less experienced members to achieve a solution.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

The Netger router is configured as DHCP server with an available IP range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254, will not permit adjustment to 192.168.1.*, ie., only the last field is adjustable.

Just a heads up, It will permit a change to 192.168.1.* BUT you have to change the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.1 first in the LAN settings. The DHCP range must always be in the same subnet as the routers LAN IP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks MisterW,

Something else I did not know, on a steep learning curve.

Yes, that would have been a neater solution leaving the HG612 with it's default  IP address but would have obviously required changing the Netgear IP address to the 192.168.1.* range, as I already have most of my associated devices attached to my LAN configured for static 192.168.0.* addresses I will probably just leave as it is.

You were a contributer to the original thread with "Anotherone" regarding procedure to get the Netgear DGND3700v2 working with the Huawei HG612 modem, many thanks, this procedure worked well for me, I am on a Huawei FTTC cabinet and I think the HG612 gives a better connection than the PN Hub One, the before & after change DS synch. speeds are 34,145 to 36,343 Kbps., the available line stat's. via DSLStats are also excellent, much superior to the RouterStats dedicated HH5a program on the Hub One.