cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagemcom 2704N, management pages grind to a halt and time out until its restarted

mad_tunes
Dabbler

Sagemcom 2704N, management pages grind to a halt and time out until its restarted

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction please...

I'm on plusnet fibre, with seperate fibre modem and Sagemcom 2704N router.

I have a PC at home that I leave on 24/7, and remote desktop to it from outside my network as/when I have a need.

If I leave the remote desktop port-forward set on the router, I end up seeing login attempts on the PC that aren't me.
Because of this, I VPN home using my phone and toggle the port-forward for the remote desktop on/off as I need.

(I cant just VPN/RDP to it all the time, as doing this from work is blocked. So I selectively enable to rdp port forward).

For the last couple of months I've found the routers management pages (from http://192.168.1.254) grind to a halt after the routers been running for 4/5/6 days. It first starts with the management pages loading slowly, then they stop and keep timing out.

The internet connection stays up and running, but might be a bit slower during these periods.

This woudn't usually be much of an issue, but it means I cant turn the RDP port-forward on or off while I'm out-leaving me stuck either unable to RDP home or leaving the outside world with access.

If I restart the router everything works just fine again for another few days, then I'll get the same again.

I've reset the router and still get the same afterwards.

Can anyone sugest anything I could do to stop this, or anything that might help find the cause please?

Huge thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Sagemcom 2704N, management pages grind to a halt and time out until its restarted

Hi @mad_tunes,

Looking into your account your router is getting pretty old and it's probably showing its age.

I've dropped a ticket on your account here with a potential solution. Give that a try and see how you get on. Let us know if that solves the problem. Thanks

mad_tunes
Dabbler

Re: Sagemcom 2704N, management pages grind to a halt and time out until its restarted

I've just had an email from plusnet saying 'your new routers on its way'.

To whoever was kind enough to make that happen, thanks very much!

(tbh, I though i was asking users before contacting support 'proper', so it's better than I was hoping for)

Edit: Hadn't seen your post before starting this one - Thanks a lot.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No worries @mad_tunes let us know how it goes 👍🏻

mad_tunes
Dabbler

..also, does anyone know a good, secure way to avoid having to toggle the port forward on and off?
VPN that's better than pptp (and a workplace isn't likely to block ) somehow?

The PCs running server 2016
(this might not be the right place to ask... I'll find somewhere better)

mad_tunes
Dabbler

I got the new router (a hub one?), thanks very much. It doesn't seem to grind to a halt like the last one had been.

Everything was great until I started setting up port forwards though.

When toggling a fwd for remote desktop on/off, I'm told it conflicts with another rule.

Even if I remove all others I'm still told it conflicts with something.

If I reset the router, I can then create what I wanted.

I've read about doing everything by IP being better, but I still get the same thing.

Port forwards I remove sometimes seem to remain accessible.

I see the message after I hit the last Apply button. It looks like the port fwds are set before thats clicked though.

I this normal or have I somehow got a duff one?

How can I remove/disable a fwd properly if the GUI no longer shows it?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @mad_tunes

Are you able to provide screenshots or more information on the rules you're trying to create so we can advise further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mad_tunes
Dabbler

The specifics of the rule dont seem to matter much.. it seems re-creating any rule shows the problem.

I'm just toggling a fwd for 3389 on and off as I want to use it..but have seen the same with others too. Same whether done by IP or name.

After the routers reset (reset, not just restart), I can create it again just fine.

If I remove it and then try to create it again - then I'm faced with not being able to without resetting the router again.

mad_tunes
Dabbler

It seemed like it was somehow not removing port forward definitions properly, leading to them to sometimes still being active but not showing in the GUI, and then throwing the error message if they're re-defined or re-applied.

I've just reset it to start again and take screenshots though - and now I cant make it happen.

I thought I understood what it was up to, but obviously don't.

Thanks for being up for helping out though.
I'll post again if I see similar.