cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router

pico

Router

We were using a Belkin router but needed 2.5 GHz to use my new Wahoo Bolt cycle computer. We decided to asked Plusnet for for a new router and we were sent one a Sagecom 2704N. However, the Wahoo still won't work and it appears the new router is still not able to support the Wahoo and isn't 2.5GHz. Does anyone know what GHz the 2704N is? I don't think it supports Wahoo

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Router

@pico  Welcome to the forum 

No router has a 2.5GHz band. I assume that you mean 2.4GHz, which is the only band that is available on the Hub Zero.

I doubt it is a compatibility problem that you are having but rather one of getting the settings right. I have had a quick look for a manual online and can find no details on connecting it to your router. Maybe if you explained what you are doing to connect it would help or provide a link to a proper manual.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@pico 

I have had another look for a manual. Are you sure that it's supposed to pair with a router? It reads as though it only talks to Android or IOS devices over Bluetooth.

Moderator and Customer

pico

You are correct in saying that the Wahoo Bolt predominantly uses bluetooth to connect to the Element phone app via Android but it needs to access a wifi network to update and for some other features to work. I have been in touch with Wahoo for several months now to find the problem. They looked at our original router details (Belkin) and advised that it needs to be 2.4GHz to be compatible with the Bolt. The Belkin wasn't. We specifically told Plusnet that we needed a 2.4GHz router and were told that our new one would be. However, we didn't receive a Hub One model but the older 2704N which, I understand, is only 20 MHz so still have the same issue. Our friends internet provider is Sky and the Wahoo device works perfectly when connected to wifi at their home. 

Baldrick1

@pico 

I can only repeat what I said earlier The Hub One has borh 2,4 and 5 GHz bands, the Hub Zerp just the 2.4GHz one.

I have no idea where you have got 20MHz from.

Can you explain how you are trying to connect it?

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@pico does your wifi password have any 'special' characters i.e not alphanumeric , often the default passord has '_' (underscorees). Some devices don't like these and I suspect the Wahoo could be one. Try changing the wifi password ( on the router ) to eliminate these. Note that if you do this you will need to change any other wireless devices already connected, so that they have the new password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@pico - I assume you're trying to configure the Wi-Fi connection via the app as explained here?

There seems to be a peculiar restriction in that the device will only use 2.4GHz channels 1-9. That is bizarre, and there's a chance your router is operating outside of this.

Log into your router settings at http://192.168.1.254 and navigate to the Wi-Fi settings (you may need to enter the admin password found on the router). Once there, you should be able to change the channel assignment from 'auto' and specify a channel to use. I would suggest you set it to either '1' or '6' and then save the changes.

Once done, 'forget' any Wi-Fi connections saved in the ELEMNT app, close it, re-open it, and try connecting to the Plusnet Wi-Fi again. You will need to enter the Wi-Fi password from the router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pico

Can I double check where I locate the bandwidth info. I logged into the router settings and can't see anything with 2.4GHz. The Sagecom 2704N gets many comments from 2018 about not being good. The Bolt needs a 2.4 GHz to work. I don't think we have that.
Tags (1)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The 2704N is exclusively 2.4GHz. It does not have any Wi-Fi radio other than a 2.4GHz one.

You're just looking for the Wi-Fi settings. It's unlikely there'll be any specific reference to 2.4GHz.

I don't have a device to hand at the moment but the channel configuration should be accessible via the normal settings pages. If not, you may need to browse to http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html and have a dig around the settings there.

For info - 2.4GHz is the older technology. 5GHz radios are more recent (and faster, although they don't reach as far).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm found this thread from 4 years ago

Though take that with a pinch of salt, but could be worth a try. I'll keep looking.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I believe the 2704n defaults to 144 mbps channel width, so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team