cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router with lan and WiFi and switch

Charles101
Grafter

Router with lan and WiFi and switch

Recently changed to fibre, received a new Plusnet Hub One, connected to filtered master socket. Speeds check out, WiFi OK but plugging in lan which goes to a switch having 10 lan outlets and one of those going to a second switch with 16 outlets the connection drops.

Disconnecting some of the lan connections can get the internet connected back sometimes to both WiFi and lan but not always. Disconnecting all the lan gets the WiFi back. Both switches are unmanaged, system worked for years on old copper connection with different router-hub.

The wired lan normally only has 4 or 5 actual items connected at one time. Others are for moving in other rooms. 2 of the lan connections are for wireless hubs, 3 or 4 for computers, 1 for printer.

Is this Hub One simply incapable of handling WiFi and lan simultaneously, is it the fibre the problem or server setup?

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Router with lan and WiFi and switch

Charles101
Grafter

Maybe a bit more than normal, but a large old house with thick walls so WiFi isn't great. Ran the lan cables as both more secure and faster than WiFi. Has worked well for years, all Cat5e or Cat 6 cables.

Just with this new modem/hub it isn't working as it should.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It seems a shame and a waste after going to all that effort with cables and switches to not continue the effort and install a decent router. 

Like most ISP provided free routers, the Hub 1 does have limitations, and there are reports they can only cope with 12 connections.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I think it's the Hub Zero that has the 12 device limitation.
Charles101
Grafter

Thanks. This would certainly explain my problem. Never saw any mention in the instructions about only 12 connections which does seem very poor. Will start the look for another router I guess.  A lot of mention about this BT one, does it have such limitations?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

No, mine has about 45 devices attached.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Charles101
Grafter

Ah, 45 connections sounds good. Guess I'll go back to testing by adding one extra at a time to see if it is a particular connection. Have checked the patch cords between switches and fixed terminal blocks which the actual cables connect into and those all seem OK. It's just a slow process doing the testing if their isn't a particular known issue with the router.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Is there a pattern to the devices that do and don't work ?

I assume both switches are "simple" (unmanaged) devices.

Also, I assume all devices are set to get IP addresses from the router (via DHCP).

I've found a phone app (Fing) has been very helpful in finding out what is going on with a home metwork.

I am the satisfied customer....
Charles101
Grafter

No pattern that I can see, when it goes off everything is off. Yes both switches are unmanaged. Don't have any 5GHz WiFi devices so switched that off and now seem to be able to get the hub working with all the devices plugged in, but whether  that was it or any updates from Plusnet I don't know.

One of my WiFi devices used as a WiFi extender is an old Virgin Media hub and it was off for a while so reset to its original IP address and must change that or just move to another. These things sort of accumulate :-).

Anyway so at the moment things are connected, but not everything completely tested yet.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Charles101

The PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5. Given that BT have gone through the HH6, SmartHub1, currently the SmartHub2 and reports are circulating about a SmartHub3 towards the end of the year you can see how basic the HH5 is.

Many PlusNet users have switched to a HH6 bought off eBay but PlusNet are happy for you to use any suitable modem/router.

Brian

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

I would consider the "Virgin Media hub".

I don't know what you can turn off with that but it may well be "fighting" with the Plusnet router in issuing IP addresses via DHCP and also trying to be the route to the internet (default gateway).

Unless all features are definitely off I wouldn't use it in a domestic network.

I probably wouldn't use it anyway.....

I am the satisfied customer....