Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router wifi phones & tablets won't always connect

FIXED
chrishester
Dabbler

Router wifi phones & tablets won't always connect

I use a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One router for fibre broadband. Works fine with PC and my first smartphone. But oneday that would no longer connect. Of course I tried all the online suggestions (reboot router, phone, restore factory settings etc) to no avail. Had a spare phone so used that instead, until oneday that went the same way, unable to connect to wifi. Luckily I had a new phone, only for days it would not connect either! I tried connecting to my camera's wifi card and put in the wrong password. After that, the phone magically started connecting to the internet over wifi! Alas the old phone never worked on wifi again so I gave up on it.

Now I have bought a tablet and guess what - it can't connect! I am thinking it is a problem with the router now. Perhaps there is only one channel that works so more than one device can't connect? Two phones and a tablet can't all be faulty!

What happens is this: the wifi tries to connect and says "Obtaining IP address" but never gets any further. Eventually it says "IP Configuration Failure".

Is there anything I can do with the router to get my phones and tablets always able to connect?
28 REPLIES 28
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router wifi phones & tablets won't always connect

Hey there, 

Have you changed the channel selection from manual to auto?

I ask as if this has been done certain channels (generally 13/14 don't allow all devices to connect) 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

You say that you have tried everything, have you seperated the 2.4 and 5GHz channels?

Go to 'Advanced Settings' -> 'Wireless'.

Click on 5 GHz wireless tab

Change the 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' to 'No'.

Add -5 to the SSID

Then try each channel in turn.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chrishester
Dabbler

I have checked the router and it is set to Automatic (Smart Wireless).
chrishester
Dabbler

I have tried separating the 2.4 and 5 channels as suggested above this but the phone/tablet are connecting on 2.4 only. I have no idea how to make them connect to a specific channel. I did try the tablet at Mum's house, where she uses a Netgear modem for Plusnet. It connected fine!
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

To help alleviate the confusion, the 2.4 and 5 GHz are not specific channels but are a range of channels. The ones mentioned by Adam Walker are located within the 2.4 GHz 'band'.
Anyway, have your devices got internet access over wifi now, albeit only on the 2.4 GHz band? You may need to go to the devices settings and forget the network, then re-add it.

That's RPM to you!!
chrishester
Dabbler

The phone works on 2.4 but the tablet still does not. I have tried forgetting and readding the network. Should the wireless settings be changed from Automatic to Manual? Or should I select a specific channel from the PC?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

There's no need to change the channels in use just yet, that may not be the problem you're having.

Since the tablet is newer it should work on the 5 GHz band. In the Wi-fi settings you should be seeing two similar plusnet networks available (if not something isn't right). Select the one that ends with the -5 you added to the name.

That's RPM to you!!
chrishester
Dabbler

I am not seeing the 5 network on the tablet, only the 2.4. I will try again tomorrow after the router has been switched off overnight.
chrishester
Dabbler

I am still not seeing the 5 band on the tablet. Is either 2.4 or 5 the same speed btw?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

What make/model tablet is it? Maybe it hasn't got a 5GHz band or it's not working. Can you now connect the tablet on the 2.4 GHz band?

The two bands are not the same speed, basically the lower frequency will travel further but will be slower. The problem with having the two synchronised is that client devices get confused.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@chrishester - ideally, your phone/tablet should `see` your router and you connect.

When you split the 2.4 and 5mhz bands you should be able to `see` both options.

You shouldn't need to tweak anything more than that (theoretically).

I'm assuming that your tablet is fairly new? Have you tried connecting using WPS? 

chrishester
Dabbler

The tablet cannot connect on the 2.4 band and the 5 band doesn't show. It's a Bush Spira 2 7-inch.
chrishester
Dabbler

How do I connect via WPS? I see settings on my phone and also a button on the router.