cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router wifi doesn't reach outside of the room it's in!

becky2109

Router wifi doesn't reach outside of the room it's in!

Started off on standard broadband and standard plusnet router, internet was slow and wifi didn't reach outside of the room the router was in. We upgraded to fiber and got the new router to go with it. Internet is fine, but still can't connect to the wifi outside of the room it's in. Advised by help centre to try changing the channels, which makes no difference, tried them all and still can't reach. Just seems odd to have the same problem with both router, we live in a small flat so we are always within 10 metres of the router. Help chat just keeps saying to change the channel then end chat before I can explain it doesn't solve the issue. Don't want to fork out on wifi extenders as I really shouldn't need them over such a tiny distance!
12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Router wifi doesn't reach outside of the room it's in!

Perhaps try switching off the 5 ghz band on what I assume is HubOne router; it has worse distance performance
than the lower band. Devices will then only see that; does it help?
Otherwise get a cheap plug in range extender.
eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN3000RP-200UKS-Universal-Extender-Indicators/dp/B00NIUHA84/ref=sr_...

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@becky2109

Welcome to the forums.

Assuming you have a smart phone/tablet, you might want to try to map out where in your flat the signal is best. There are plenty of good free apps (On Android I recommend "Wifi Analyzer" by farproc)

This webpage will help you to go through the task https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-optimize-your-wi-fi-network-with-wifi-analyzer/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
becky2109

Hi, I have tried a signal strength app just now, in the same room the speed was 195mbps, after walking 1.5 metres away (all doors open, no walls) , it dropped down to 0.1mbps and then to dead 0 any further out.
becky2109

Hi, tried this and still not able to connect outside of 2 metres away from router. Don't want to spend £20 on a wifi extender as tbh I don't have the money to waste on it when a router should be able to send a signal further than 2 metres.
SpendLessTime
Hero

Okay.

How far can you move the router without unplugging it? Can you raise it up by say a 1 metre or move it to the left or right of where it is currently?

Also does the orientation of the router make a change in the signal strength? i.e turn it 180 degrees or 90 degrees.

And is there a DECT phone (wireless house phone) or baby monitor or microwave within a few feet of the router? All those devices can cause issues with WiFi signals.

And finally is the result for signal strength the same on the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band (assuming your Plusnet router is a dual band model)

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

WiFi reception can be a dark art!!! The attached link gives tips for boosting performance.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/04/10-top-tips-boosting-home-wi-fi-wireless-network-speeds...

Brian

becky2109

@SpendLessTime have changed the channel to one that is completely unused, moved the router about a metre to right, as far as the power lead will extend, no change. Moved it right next to the door, stood next to it around 80mbps, stepping immediately through the doorway (door still open) drops to 20, declines to 0 in less than a metre forward. No phone/monitors/microwaves, power cable does not allow to turn it
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You still haven't confirmed Router type you have + whether a dual band one.

There may be something odd about your topography; £20 investment in an Extender is money well spent if it fixes your situation. If it doesn't work you can get refund, and consider investing in another Router.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Loss of signal so quickly is unusual. Assuming it is a modern flat in a purpose built block so it would have a lot of metal in all the walls but the signal should still go for a few feet at least.

It might be the Gel's advice is the only way to go if the building is damping the WiFi that quickly. 

becky2109

It's the standard fiber router that plusnet send out. While an extender would fix the problem, it's the point that it shouldn't be a problem in the first place, surely a standard issue router should be able to reach through most of a house yet I can't get it to reach outside of a room? I've been trying to get this fixed with plusnet since getting it put in in january and their solve-all solution is "change the channel" which doesn't work. While I appreciate the advice and help given here, still nothing seems to work? To me, this says something is wrong but how to find out what? 

SpendLessTime
Hero

To prove/disprove the router, could you take it to a friend/parents' house who has fibre and swap it for their working one. Then check if the WiFi works across a wide physical range. I know the property might well be very different to yours but at least you can see if the router's WiFi functions better elsewhere.

If it works well then it is the building you live in causing the signal to attenuate quickly. If not, then you may have a faulty router and could ask Plusnet to swap it for you.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

In defence of ISP's. WiFi reception is not their job - they provide a router which, so long as a WiFi signal is being transmitted, completes the contract. They cannot possibly know what WiFi is like at each location or the cause of any problems.

PlusNet is a value (basic) internet provider and as such provides a cheap router. For some it does the job, for others it doesn't. You are receiving a signal (abet at close range) so in theory the router is working. It's also the second one you've tried without the signal improving.

Hardware, like software, doesn't always work well together - it could just be your WiFi device. Try any other's you may have to see if that makes any difference.

Brian