cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router username and password not recognised

ratsea
Hooked

Router username and password not recognised

My daughter visited recently and had a problem using my home wifi connection. She was using a new Surface Pro 4 with the Win10 fully updated.

The problem was she could see the access points (I have two) but neither would accept the password for the sign in if it was typed directly into the sign in from the network fly out screen.  It could connect with a wired ethernet and a usb adapter. The second router is just a repeater for better coverage and is wired to the Plusnet one.

However, the problem was resolved by typing the password into Notepad first then cutting and pasting it into the password box on the network flyout screen.  We tried this several times and it was completely repeatable so no typos with the direct input!

She was later able to sign in to her brother's BT router without any problems either.

Please could someone explain that is happening here.   She has not had a problem with wifi connection elsewhere such as airport etc, which suggests its my router/network.

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Router username and password not recognised

Does your wireless password contain any spaces or characters other than letters of the alphabet and numbers?

Sounds like a bug in Windows 10 for Surface tablet, given that you witnessed the issue with both your router and repeater which use firmwares from different manufacturers.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Possibly what looks like a '6' is actually a 'b' or vice versa,

or a '5' is really an 'S', a '0' is maybe an 'O' etc....

I did once struggle for a while with a password where an apparent '8' turned out to be a 'B'.

Some fonts can look ambiguous.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
ratsea
Hooked

Thanks for the thought but you would make the same mistake on Notepad but that worked, so not the answer.