cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router speeds

BB
Grafter

Router speeds

I have received the new router, upgrade from Thomson. Its a Sagecom thing. Its no better, in fact I think it's worse.

The speed has dropped , I am lucky to get 6.5. Its disappointing . I am stuck with PN for another 12months after having paid LR upfront. Any help will be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Router speeds

Why would this be best in the router section? It's clearly something to do with broadband speeds. Just because the OP mentions a router doesn't automatically mean it belongs in the router section.
@BB
Your broadband speed is mostly governed by your phone line characteristics, changing modem/routers won't make any significant change to speeds (unless previous modem was faulty). If you've been told that it would help, then you've been given bad advice, sorry.
That's RPM to you!!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Not sure why Thompson would upgrade a router, but I assume its an upgrade from the Thompson. The OP does not mention how they are testing, wired or WiFi? Many people seem to prefer the Thompson, it certainly seems to have more features than the 2704 Sagem.

A copy of the Helpdesk stats may help determine what the issue is.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The obvious solution regarding the new router being worse would be to not use the Sagemcom 2704N and continue using the Thomson.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I can see we sent out the new router after recontracting with us recently (thanks) were you experiencing any issues before switching over to the new router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BB
Grafter

Hi, I had the Thomson many years and asked for an uptodate one when I took out the new contract. I was contracted to between 7 and 8 speeds. I have sometimes managed 6. I think I incorrectly blamed the router as it does not determine the download speed . The Sagecom does not have as many features as the Thomson. Why have I not download speeds as promised? I had cosidered Fibre but the wires from the Green Box to my house are ancient, thus there was no point. Perhaps you could investigate these matters.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I had a sagecom (thats the one with the two stupid little legs on it which don't actually serve any purpose isn't it?) sent out to troubleshoot some broadband issues and yes it was extremely poor compared to the thompson and actually made the problem I had worse....

BB
Grafter

I thought Adam Waker was investigating my broadband speeds. Something is not as good as previous.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi BB, do you experience the lower speeds with the old router?

I'm just wanting to pin down if speeds are only an issue with the new hardware.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BB
Grafter

I am not getting contracted speeds. I don't think there is much difference between the routers. Perhaps its a line problem?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I don't think there's a line problem as diagnostics aren't indicating any issues.

Can you run a test here whilst connected over ethernet please? http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team