cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router's WiFi stops working every 2-3 days

franz899

Router's WiFi stops working every 2-3 days

Hello,

My Plusnet router needs restarting every 2 or 3 days because the wifi gets unusable. Every device tries to connect to it but then drops after a few seconds. We often have to fall back to using our my phone internet, unless we restart it.
The internet connection still works fine. I can use it via ethernet or another wifi access point (via powerline), that I installed where the Plusnet router couldn't reach.

The other access point has never caused any issue; it just works.

I've been using this setup for over three years, and initially, the need to restart the Plusnet router was less frequent, circa every seven days.

I'm using a Plusnet Hub One, with software version: "4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 13/03/19"

5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Router's WiFi stops working every 2-3 days

Hi @franz899 - Thanks for highlighting this, I'm sorry that you're experiencing wifi issues.

Could you try splitting out the frequencies of your router as per this thread here and let us know if allocating some of your devices to the 5ghz thread helps?

Best wishes

Dave

franz899

All my devices were connected to the 5Ghz band. I've disabled the 2.4Ghz, let's see how it will perform.

Thank you for the advice.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thanks @franz899,

Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems with the WiFi once you've done this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
franz899

Hello,

I gave this mono frequency change a few weeks of test time, and I can confirm that it doesn't change the issue that I'm having. The wifi keeps slowing down up to a crawl up until it starts dropping the connection every few seconds.

Another symptom is that the maximum download speed for a single file drops to less than half of what the initial one that I get after a router restart.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @franz899 sorry to hear the issue is ongoing.

In the same setting where you've split your frequencies have you changed your router channels also?

You could be getting some signal interference. Based on what you're saying about the signal being great to start with and then it drops, I'd suspect this is the case.

Also 5Ghz is great when you're close to the router but gets weaker the further away you get. 2.4Ghz covers a much larger area it might be worth choosing which devices connect to whichever band depending their distance from the router.